1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speedometer Error With Tire Change

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by uncleelihu, May 26, 2008.

1. May 26, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    uncleelihu

uncleelihu [OP] Active Member

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    13 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    2017 4Runner Wheels, Debadged, Wet Okoles
    Hi Folks, newbie here.

I recently bought a 2002 PreRunner which came with 31" BFG 265/75R/16 tires. Not the tires I wanted so replaced them with 265/70R/16, which is the size my truck originally came with.

LOT smoother ride, but now the speedometer is off. On the highway today, 70 mph on the speedometer was about 66 mph on the GPS.

The speedometer was just about right on as compared to the GPS with the taller tires.

So, what procedure do I use to recalibrate the speedo to match up with the new (original size) tires?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. May 26, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    Well see there is a thing with the GPS. its usually a tad bit slower for some reason. Something to do with the satelites and such. With the other tires you may have thought it was right, but in reality it was off.

3. May 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The GPS does receive a false signal from teh satilites to throw off the accuracy, but, it does not affect the speed read out. Just the Altitude and location. The speed on most GPS units is +/- .2 mph. Just an FYI. :)

4. May 26, 2008 at 7:17 PM
    BrianPK

BrianPK Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
  5. May 26, 2008 at 7:35 PM
    uncleelihu

uncleelihu [OP] Active Member

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    13 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    2017 4Runner Wheels, Debadged, Wet Okoles
    Thanks to all for the replies.

That'll give me something to chew on:D

I am making the assumption that the speedo was correct with the original factory tires, so the previous owner somehow recalibrated the speedo when he put the larger tires on, since they were larger than the originals, and the speedo was correct with the larger tires.

Anyway, the link may provide the info I need.

About 25 years ago I had a Dodge van with a mis-calibrated speedometer. Turned out that someone had replaced the transmission with one from a car, and so the speedo gear was sending the wrong info to the speedometer. I stopped by a tranny shop and picked up another one and it was a simple replacement on the side of the tranny and all was well. This new "tronic" stuff should be simpler, but sometimes seems more involved.

Regards.

Products Discussed in

To Top