1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speedometer Problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by garrettnb, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    garrettnb

garrettnb [OP] Canadian Ambassador

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD w/33s on a 4" lift
    Just bought a 2000 5 speed TRD Tacoma, all is well except for the speedometer. When stationary it shows 0 mph as it should. But as soon as you start moving it shows about 45 mph. In all the maintenance records I got from the previous owner this is a handwritten quote on a receipt that was from a diagnosis. Although there are no part numbers it lists a dash unit for $300. Does anybody know what this is, or if this is even the problem? Also, this is the plainest instrument cluster ever as it's missing a tach. Is it possible to put a cluster with one in its place?

2. Dec 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.

as far as the speedometer being off i had the same problem when i knocked of the black peg off that sets the needle at 0 so to fix it i had to rotate it clockwise all the way around back to 0 again and that fixed mine

3. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    garrettnb

garrettnb [OP] Canadian Ambassador

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD w/33s on a 4" lift
    I would understand what to do if the case was just the needle pointing in the wrong direction. But regardless of what speed I'm doing it shows 45 mph, except when stationary.

Products Discussed in

To Top