1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Splice a trailer harness?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pjo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Dec 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    pjo

pjo [OP] The "Wet" Coast

Member:
    North Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport
    Yup after 10 months I finally post something... what can I say most of my questions usually get answered by searching/reading :D

Has anyone out there spliced a trailer harness to power another set of backup lights/reverse flood lights? I know I could splice off the actuall tail light assembly but this is for a project I am working on with my Go Rhino! Hitch Step. I don't actually use my hitch that often and when I do I can just unplug the whole thing to get it out of the way so I thought this would be ideal...

pjo

2. Dec 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What's the question, whether you can do it or not? There's no reason you couldn't. I'm assuming you're talking a 7-pin from a Tacoma with the factory tow package? How do you want the lights to function, are they going to be on a switch in the cab? If you want them to just come on when you put the truck into reverse then I'd use the back-up lights as a trigger for a relay.

3. Dec 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    pjo

pjo [OP] The "Wet" Coast

Member:
    North Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport
    Hmmm interesting idea... I was thinking along the lines of using the 12V from the 7-Pin and using the Tail and Backup pins as relay connectors ;) Any reason why you would want to use the actual backup lights as a trigger?

pjo

4. Dec 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I think we're talking about the same thing, taking power from the trailer harness and using the back-up lights as the switch or trigger to turn the lights on.

If I was going to go that route, I'd modify a 7-pin trailer plug so it only uses 2 wires, the ground and the hot wire from the truck. I'd run the power to a relay as the power in, splice into the back-up lights and run that to trigger the relay. That way you could just unplug the lights from the trailer harness and plug in the trailer. I hope that makes sense... it sounds great in my head:D

Products Discussed in

To Top