1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SPod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gottaToy, May 6, 2015.

1. May 6, 2015 at 5:44 AM
    gottaToy

gottaToy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    In preparation for my ARB lockers install, I've been contemplating on switch placement. I'm also running a LED bar, so I need 4 switches to be mounted, but only 2 factory blanks(one dash and one on the console). After looking at my options, I ordered the universal 6 switch SPod(not the Tacoma kit, as I have the supercharger and need to mount on top of fuse box, not the firewall). I am thrilled. It's a nice clean looking unit, and much easier to install one harness rather than a minimum of 12 single wires. I also added winch power and another light, so that would've been 18 wires to fish around. They are a little pricey, but well worth it for the ease, plus adding accessories to the "source" is so easy. I'm still having a hard time getting used to throwing away all the extra wiring from the accessories, though. All you need is power and ground wires for everything, makes for simple plug and play. It fits nicely in one of the sunglass holders, so all my accessory switches are together

2. Jun 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    badphish14

badphish14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFF ROAD
    Hows the setup treating you?
    I've been really thinking about just doing this just for the ease like you said and I'm not 100% comfortable trying to do it all on my own.

3. Jun 12, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    The dealer that did my lockers and suspension said they'll be recommended for every install from now on. Makes adding accessories SO easy and no need to run all the wires individually. Plus, without it I'd have a bundle of relays and inline fuses that would look like crap, if I could even find room for them all? Trimming the sunglasses holder takes some time, but there are other switch panels option that would be easier, like under the dash

4. Jun 17, 2015 at 5:17 AM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I installed an spod on my 2012 JKRU as well. Good clean simple install for an old school fuse and relay setup.

But recently I saw the switch pro setup. VERY cool. Solid state, no fuses and relays. Programmable switching and Bluetooth. I was going to buy one but realized that I'll still need the relays to operate the compressor and lockers so I'm going with factory style switches for now. But when the time comes I'm going with the switch pro vs the spod I think.

http://www.switch-pros.com

5. Jul 20, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    CleanupBoss

CleanupBoss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chet
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    SR 5 with Leer shell
    S/C w/ Gibson exhaust Araid CAI, afr/boost gauges in Craven Speed mount, LED camper shell lighting kit clear bra, fogs, Leer shell w/keyless entry & Thule roof rack system Pop & Lock tailgate handle Rugged country 30" light bar for lower front bumper, Baja Designs SR2 flush mount rear bumper lights, DB Customz grill w/ 3" cube lights, Viair 2 gal tank, Viar Compressor
    Thanks for your input OP.
    I also have a S/C and cannot mount the source where the YouTube video suggests.
    I looked at mounting options over the fuse box as you suggested in your original post but I wasnt sure whether the sPod power source would restrict my access to my fuse box. In other words, I did not want to disassemble/remove the sPod power source every time I went to open my fuse box.
    Does the sPod power source restrict your access to your fuses?
    Thank you sir

6. Jul 20, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    I left just enough wire so I can remove the lid with no problems. Just turn it so the wires enter the box towards your firewall and everything tucks neatly. the battery is too close to go the other way

7. Jul 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    CleanupBoss

CleanupBoss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chet
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    SR 5 with Leer shell
    S/C w/ Gibson exhaust Araid CAI, afr/boost gauges in Craven Speed mount, LED camper shell lighting kit clear bra, fogs, Leer shell w/keyless entry & Thule roof rack system Pop & Lock tailgate handle Rugged country 30" light bar for lower front bumper, Baja Designs SR2 flush mount rear bumper lights, DB Customz grill w/ 3" cube lights, Viair 2 gal tank, Viar Compressor
    Thank you very much!

8. May 14, 2017 at 9:12 AM
    CrazyCorn

CrazyCorn Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tacoma TRD
    6" Toytec Lift, Grill Bar-light, Heated seats
    Great advice guys! Hopefully I'll be installing my own soon.:fingerscrossed:

Products Discussed in

To Top