1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spongy Brake Pedal ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by randyjaco, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Mar 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    03is300ztk

03is300ztk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Somewhere in the hills NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Grillcraft, with front and rear bumper/bed in the works.
    Sensitive much? Apparently. The questions were already answered but hey not every one passed reading comprehension.

2. Mar 1, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    03is300ztk

03is300ztk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Somewhere in the hills NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Grillcraft, with front and rear bumper/bed in the works.
    Trying but asking the same questions over because there too lazy to read helps no one. And them being sensitive for being called out.

But your right let's move forward.

3. Mar 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    randyjaco

randyjaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Friendswood, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner
    Sorry to cause all the hard feelings.
    It drives and stops with no noticeable problems. It may have been spongy from the get go. I just noticed that after I replaced the front pads and felt that the pedal wasn't as stiff as I thought it should be. In fact, if I pushed hard enough the pedal would go to the floor. I bled the brakes and it didn't make any noticeable difference. Since I was afraid I would screw up the anti-lock, I didn't go any farther. That is when I queried the group. I have been driving since then. The fluid is clean and clear. The truck is a 2007 model with 101K miles on it. I haven't experienced any other problems with the truck. It is still as tight as the day I bought it. Can't complain.

Randy

4. Mar 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    No hurt feelings here...... I don't know what I said but it was obviously not taken the same way it was meant to be taken. Different frame of mind I guess....

Hope it continues to be solid for you. This has always been a great forum and resource - don't be afraid to stop back often!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    stumblestacks

stumblestacks Well-Known Member

Member:
    North lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Beat up 98taco 3.4L limited xtracab TRD
    Finally blew the motor at 230,000, sprung for a Jasper with 100,000/3 year warranty. The birdpig has a new set of wings! OME heavy load lift kit, Dakar leafs w/AAL, frame mounted energy suspension 4.5" bumpstops, 882 coils, nitrocharger sport shocks, trail gear sliders, addicted offroad front bumper, KC 130w daylighters, Warn M8000, 31" BFG KM2's, custom dents and Nevada pinstripes.
    I thought I had figured this problem out, but it came back again. I'm just accepting that I have to "pre-pump" my brakes to see wtf they are going to do.

6. Mar 18, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    FishaRnekEd

FishaRnekEd Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4.0 6spd 4x4 Dbl Cb short bed
    Thats terrible... I have accepted a similar issue with my ignition...

7. Mar 19, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    stumblestacks

stumblestacks Well-Known Member

Member:
    North lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Beat up 98taco 3.4L limited xtracab TRD
    Finally blew the motor at 230,000, sprung for a Jasper with 100,000/3 year warranty. The birdpig has a new set of wings! OME heavy load lift kit, Dakar leafs w/AAL, frame mounted energy suspension 4.5" bumpstops, 882 coils, nitrocharger sport shocks, trail gear sliders, addicted offroad front bumper, KC 130w daylighters, Warn M8000, 31" BFG KM2's, custom dents and Nevada pinstripes.
    The old "is my key going to turn the ignition this time, or tomorrow, or the next day?" I had that about 10 years ago. After months of finding the sweet spot that allowed me to turn the key, it finally refused to turn and left me stranded. The new ignition started to do it last summer so I got a few new Keys cut and it's less finicky with the sharper edged new keys. It happened with both of my door locks to. On a month long trip with lots of valuables in my truck and I couldn't lock it. It seems that the brakes, ignition, and door locks are a common problem on first gens. I don't know if the later generations are better, or just too new to know what will fail.

8. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    FishaRnekEd

FishaRnekEd Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4.0 6spd 4x4 Dbl Cb short bed
    ^ my key always turns, but sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it starts (2nd gen)

9. Mar 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hmm... after reading all this I think I am going to flush all my brake fluid. I added longer brake lines and we bled the brakes and a week or so later I noticed that when sitting at a stop light the brake pedal would start creeping to the floor after a few seconds. If I let go of the pedal and push it again the brakes are solid but after a second or two it starts creeping to the floor again.

It hasn't affected my brake performance or anything other than sitting on the brakes. I've started just putting it in park at stop lights.

10. Jun 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I have question for you guys??

my Brake pedal went limp over the last couple days. :notsure: Y. what would you do first?
    -check brake fluid
    -check if brake lines
    -bleed brakes
    -get new shoes and rotor

Granted i just replace the shoes and rotors front/back not that long ago.

or just take to a mechanic

Not sure if it is the master brake cylinder :pout:

11. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    ive had the same spongy brake issues with my 08 since the truck hit 50k kms. replaced calipers multiple times, rotors, pads, master cylinder, booster. everything short of the brake lines themselves which are next on the list. nothing helps.

12. Jun 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    so I bleed my brakes yesterday. I come to find out that my wheel bearing took a crap.

13. Jun 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    A full brake system flush can make a world of difference in pedal feel.

Skyway likes this.
  14. Aug 5, 2018 at 9:55 AM
    j4543p

j4543p New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Full Cab 4.0L 4WD
    Do the Master Cylinder test, do the brake booster test, bleed it well and check for leaks. If none of that works, check your rear brake shoes. Trust me, this was the last thing I checked and this was the issue. I even threw money at a new Master Cylinder and that didn't help. The brake shoes are supposed to adjust automatically as they wear down but mine didn't really. As the shoes wear down, it creates more space between them and the rotor which will also increase the travel needed to have the shoe contact the drum as you press the brake. This could be the culprit that creates excess travel/soft brake situation. My brake pedal issue was fixed by changing out the brake shoes and making sure they were adjusted properly. Don't just go buy new shoes. Check them first. You may have 50% life left but they just need to be adjusted is all. Good luck!

Raylo, YotaProject and Skyway like this.
  15. Nov 5, 2022 at 7:43 PM
    Dvst8r1K

Dvst8r1K Night-Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen Black Tacoma SS 4.0l 4-dr 4x4
    1" Toytec body-lift, K&N filter, coolant by-pass, mesh cotton screen delete, TTBS, WeatherTech in channel visors, 2.5" Rancho full suspension kit, Oil Catch Can, Toyo 285/70 A/T-2's, 21.5" light bar in grill, blacked-out grill, de-badged entire truck; and again, more to come.....
    I've bled the brakes til all air was out. Still a soft pedal. Adjusted the e-brake cable because it was not holding, and oinbfurther down than comfort level could accept.
    Then I saw to adjust the rear brake wheel adjuster. Since I also just installed new rotors and shoes, I removed the rotors and adjusted the shoes to where they were a bit finicky to reinstall. The drum needs just a bit of friction when testing by sinning the rotor. It should be tough to move, or turn. Boom!!!!
    Brake pedal pressure has returned. E-Brake pressure has returned. All stops are with much less effort than before and I almost feel I have to relearn my braking again.
    Even if you only do the front brakes, still adjust the caliper adjuster, bleed, and your pedal pressure should return. At least this is my experience.. No need for wrongs or rights, just trying to help out....

16. Nov 6, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    My 2008 X-Runner's brakes were exactly the same right off the dealer's lot. It drove me up the wall. I took it back to the dealer, but was assured it was "normal" for my Tacoma. I bled it multiple times, but that never corrected the crappy brake pedal feel. It still felt like I was stepping on a mushroom (or whatever the NASCAR people say...lol)

I finally installed a BBK about a month ago, and that finally corrected the issue. No idea if it was the tiny front caliper, the rubber brake hoses, or what, but it finally feels right.

I went from this crappy set up:
    upload_2022-11-6_9-24-49.jpg

To this fantastic set up:
    upload_2022-11-6_9-25-33.jpg

The 6-lug Tacomas come with much beefier brakes, where the 5-lug Tacomas got the crappy front brakes.

Lumberjackcoma likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top