1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spray painting a motorcycle tank

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kingston73, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Feb 23, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    (I wasn't sure where to put this so if a mod wants to move it to another section that's fine.)

I'm repainting my bike's tank and side panels, this will be the third time I've done this in the past 5 years. The first 2 times it came out OK but not great, so this time I really want to do it right.

The primer and color coats have gone on really well this time but I'm wondering what my last steps should be. Right now I have a good looking, smooth coat of color that I have sanded down with 1000 grit so it's perfectly smooth. There are 3 coats of color on it with 3 coats of primer underneath. What I'm stuck on is whether I should put any more color on it, whether I should put a clear coat on it, or if I should just leave it as it is and polish it now.

Not sure if it matters but I've been using VHT engine enamel. I've been following the directions on the can which say recoat within 1 hour or after 7 days and it's been 7 days as of yesterday so I could recoat it now. Also, the finish is smooth, no runs or wrinkles, but it isn't at all shiny. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks ahead of time.

Products Discussed in

To Top