1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

sputter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hambone155, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    ok ive posted on this now a few times.

i get a sputter under load most of the time. when im smooth on the throttle its fine but i have to work it up slowwwwww

i have replaced, plugs, wires, coil packs, fuel filter, tps,

no cat to clog, cause i live in a non emissions state where we dont give a F**k so i pulled that off a long time ago.

the only things i can think of... either vac leak, which is what im pretty sure it is but i need help finding the part, ill post pics as soon as my phone emails them to me. the tube is one that comes off the main intake tube right by the throttle body and goes down to the valve cover on the driver side bank.

or A/F sensor?

any suggestions?

2. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Clean maf? And it may seem obvious but how is your air filter? Your fuel filter may be clogged

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Clean maf? And it may seem obvious but how is your air filter? Your fuel filter may be clogged too...

4. Mar 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    changed and changed. still does it. i did thouse before posted buy i change my air filter every 6k cause i have a deckplate mod

5. Mar 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    mafs been cleaned too*

6. Mar 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    change the fuel filter!

7. Mar 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well i would lean toward the vacuum leak, way back when, I had a new 2000 mustang gt and the first mod I did was the Steeda cold air intake, well they had some tard do the kit packing because I had parts for a Cobra, 96 gen. mustang and a few for mine, and they did not believe me.... sorry ..
    inbetween taking factory off, steeda on, out to trash can to but factory on
    I got a leak, and the stang did the same thing. what did u do with the pvc valve.? without the o2 sensors, did u reprogram the computer to deal with that and the supercharger?
    I had read over some stuff that our model years the computer could not handle the supercharge, or the engine walls....
    listen man, I did everything under the sun to my stang, except. a supercharger... (till I had a stroke) and I had no idea about the toyota supercharger..... when I got this truck..
    this is giving me a new reason to live and got my ass itch en!

8. Mar 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    the ecu was pre programed, ive had it on there since ive had the truck and the sputter just started on a road trip. the pcv i havent touched but theres a vac line that runs from the back of driver side valve cover to the intake.

what in anyones personal oppinion is the best way to find this leak?

i just changed it right after the problem started and did a live feed on the system and its getting plunty of fuel, rich at idle and perfrect while boosting.

9. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Noslo28

Noslo28 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    McCleary, WA
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma
    3" lift, cold air Intake, TRD throttle body spacer, ARB front bumper, winch, wet oakle seat covers, Clear coners, Clear Tail lights
    My 2000 is bucking right now as well rolling down the freeway but if I punch it something kicks in and it goes like normal. It's worse when the motor is cold and didn't start till we got a bunch of snow. I have replaced plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, coil packs, cleaned the maf only thing left I can think of is an injectors. And I have no check engine light on

10. Sep 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    garrettnb

garrettnb Canadian Ambassador

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD w/33s on a 4" lift
    Hambone/Noslo, you guys ever figure out the problem? My truck is doing the exact same thing. I'm going to search for a possible vacuum leak when I have some time.

Products Discussed in

To Top