1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeak/Groan from steering system

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DanS, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Aug 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    DanS

DanS [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 2000 Tacoma 4x4 5spd 2.7L 4cyl
    All-Pro upper A arms uniball long travel, tru trac rear locker, downy adjustable lift up front, all-pro rear springs 3 inch, greasable rear shackles from northwest offroad, k&n air filter, 33" BFgoodrich MudTerrain T/A, alpine stereo w/ipod hookup
    I went out to the pismo dunes and mashed around pretty hard the other day. When I came back, I noticed a squeak/groan that was happening when I turned the steering wheel.

After a few weeks of driving around, it is still there, but has lessened a little.

It it begins to squeak when I have the wheels turned about half way in one direction or the other, and only squeeks when the wheels are actually turning. However, it will squeak whether or not the wheels are rotating (vehicle is rolling).

I got underneath the vehicle is I could see anything strange. I notices that as the steering wheel is turned, the steering rack rotates/torques around its long axis. I tried re-torquing the associated bolts but that did not help.

2000 Tacoma 4wd 5spd adjustable downy lift up front with all pro upper a arms uniball long travel 33" tires.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Products Discussed in

To Top