1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeak in pulley?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by piratesvarsity22, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    piratesvarsity22

piratesvarsity22 [OP] SickTacoFoSho

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    smoked taillights, thrush glasspack muffler, hollowed out cat. K&n intake,2 12' infinity subwoofers. sony xplod cd player
    it seems like i have a squeak in my pully or even might be the belts going bad. my cars been sputtering for a while and i was told it could be a 2nd ignition, with the distributor. could my truck be sputtering due to the belt not catching correctly? or could it be that anyone no?

2. Jan 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You gotta give us more information.

The truck sputters when? At idle? At full throttle?

Now, about this squeek.... how loud is it? Is it a whine, a squeek, a screach?
    When does it squeek? At idle? at full throttle? Only when you drive?

How many miles on it?

What type of maintenance have you done on the truck since you owned it? Do you have any maintenance records for it?

Have you opened up the hood lately and looked around? Look at your accessory belts..... listen for the squeek (while the truck is running).

3. Jan 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    piratesvarsity22

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    smoked taillights, thrush glasspack muffler, hollowed out cat. K&n intake,2 12' infinity subwoofers. sony xplod cd player
    truck has about 90 k on it, the truck when at idle does not sputter at all. it sputers as soon as i give some acceleration. and for the mainainance... it has new plugs, wires, filters, the cat is fine, no codes were thrown for an o2. so im stuck and confused now. the truck will make a screaching noise when at idle and gets worse when the belt needs to do more work. example: if i turn the ac on while in park it will start to do it worse. or when i take off it does it

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Does it get louder when the RPM's go up also.
    Mine did the same thing, started all of a sudden, I called it more of a whine, matter of fact sounded as if I had a blower from a distance. Ended up being the belt, mine went out at 27,000.
    But then again I may be off base on this.

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    piratesvarsity22

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    hey but did that stop the sputtering? noise? or both ?

6. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I don't know what to make of the other noises, I do know that when I changed the belt alot of things got alot quiter.

7. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The squeek or whine is either a loose accessory belt or bad bearings in one of the accessory pulleys. Open up the hood - I believe you'll have 3 accessory belts (Alternator, A/C & Power steering ?).

On each belt where there's lots of room between pulleys - grab the edges of the belt with your thumb & finger. Twist the belt. You shouldn't be able to twist the belt past perpendicular of its original position. If you can - then you need to tighten the belt. Before tightening the belts - inspect the belts & pulleys for wear. You might be better off putting new belts on.

Or - if the belts are OK, then you probably have some bad bearings on one of the pulleys. If you take off each belt, spin the pulleys by hand and *feel* it as you spin it. If you feel any rough spots, then chances are...the pulley bearings are bad.

Loose belts or worn bearings don't necessarily cause the truck to sputter..... The belts would fray & break first before causing load issues on the engine. So - I'm guessing you have a couple different -totally unrelated - problems to work on.

8. Jan 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    my trd has the same noise, seems to be a whine, but it has done this from 2700 miles to 104xxx miles. never had a problem with it, and never replaced the belts. they all seem to be bullet proof and everlasting, so far. ive sprayed belt lube, and wd 40 on the suspected pulley, which made the noise go away, but it has always returned. it has never affected performance though.

9. Jan 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    piratesvarsity22

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    yea i put belt dressing on mine and made it alot worse and i sprayed wd40 too and helped a lil... the guy i broght it to today says it could be the p/s belt and ac belt going, but they were replaced like 2 months ago lol

10. Jan 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    If they were replaced just two months ago the part numbers on the belts should still be visible. Make sure the correct ones were put on. I've seen parts stores just hold the old one and new one up to each other and check length. The "angle" of the belt sides might be incorrect, that would cause squealing.

Janster's right, bad belts or pulleys shouldn't cause the sputtering problem. Try running half a can of seafoam through the brake booster hose, put the other half in the fuel tank. Might just be clogged injectors and or a seriously gummed up intake track.

11. Jan 8, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    piratesvarsity22

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    u no what i didnt check them for the numbers. but deff sounds like a possibility. thanks ill let everyone know what it ends up being

12. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    York

York Big Blue

Member:
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Taco 4x4 TRD Off Road
    3" Lift w/ 31"DuraTrac, plus rims, single out Magniflow muffler, tinted windows, grill gaurd, roof rack, 7" touch screen in-dash DVD.
    I wanted to jout in a note on this I am having this problem aswell at the moment. With a little twist. So I went wheeling and afterwards the belt start squeeling. HAHA from the effect of belt dressing addition (sounded like nails on a chalk board).

So I went to the dealership and the guy told me to use a wire brush and clean the teeth real well on the belt run it the turn it off and clean it some more he said should fix the issue.

Has anyone ever heard of this method or should I just change the belt?

13. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    If it sputters just when you give it acceleration, it could be a variety of things. Could be a dirty throttle body, a bad throttle position sensor, a loose or leaking vacuum line, spark plugs with an incorrect gap setting ( I know because that actually happened to me recently). As far as the sqealing, definitely sounds like a bad or slipping belt. Try adjusting the tension on it some more. Look at the underside of the belt. If it is shiny, replace it.

14. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    York

York Big Blue

Member:
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Taco 4x4 TRD Off Road
    3" Lift w/ 31"DuraTrac, plus rims, single out Magniflow muffler, tinted windows, grill gaurd, roof rack, 7" touch screen in-dash DVD.
    My only issue is the belt squealing I sprayed sillicone spray on it and it stop squealing for a bit. The dealership service guy also told me that the truck has an auto tensioner on it. The belt is actually pretty tight on there I can't turn it perpendicular

Products Discussed in

To Top