1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaking only when accelerating

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kingston73, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Jun 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    09 Tacoma with 60,000 miles on it. Just recently noticed when starting to accelerate from a stop I can hear a high pitch speaking. It can only be heard below about 20 mph and only happens when I press the gas pedal. I've tested it by coasting down a long road slowly, the squeak only happens when the gas is pressed, lift off or put it in neutral and it goes away.

Since it only happens when the gas is pressed I don't think it's springs or wheels, so what does that leave?

2. Jun 27, 2015 at 6:45 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    When you accelerate the drive train will twist. I'd check motor mounts and tranny mounts for damage/broken/dry rot. Also anything that tan contact the engine/drivetrain/exhaust. Also try this... on a safe level spot, put the parking on and put it in gear and give it a "little" gass to get the drive train to torque to see if you can duplicate to locate it ....

edit - also check all mounting bolts for mounts, tranny support bar, etc.

3. Jun 27, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    Check your rear leafs as well. Mine did that and one of my rubber isolaters had came out.

Also check your carrier bearing for the rubber to be worn out. 60,000 it should be fine but you never know.

4. Jun 29, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Turns out it was one of my u joints. Only 65000, that's early isn't it?

5. Jun 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    IT happens .... but they normally go over 100K. Check to see if the other one(s) have grease fittings (or a place to install one) and grease them if possible. (mine has fittings). Since the shaft is out I'd considered changing the others with grease fitting types...

6. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I had stock U joints when I traded my '06 with 175k, and I towed and occasionally heavy at that.

7. Jun 30, 2015 at 1:33 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It is early if you don't grease them often enough. I grease mine every oil change and make sure clean grease comes out of all four caps. Messy but required for a long life.

8. Jul 8, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    EnderXVI

EnderXVI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2000/ SR5/ 3.4L/ Extended cab/ 4X4/ 31 X 10.5 R15
    Grill block
    Typically the U-joint at the rear axle takes one heck of a pounding from the angle and not being doubled up like the ones after the carrier bearing. If the carrier bearing is a little loose it can cause the u-joint to fail faster too. A little test I use to check which one is going bad and narrow it down; try getting a can of lube (similar to WD40 spray), and hose down one u-joint before leaving for somewhere over the course of a couple days. If the squeak stops that's your problem. They squeak then clunk, and if it's clunking then you're missing part of a cap most likely. Just an added thought, but mines in need of replacement as well. I'm looking for a good replacement, but would like some input on the different companies out there. I've seen Moog, Lakewood, Spicer, Federnal (think that's how it's spelled), and a couple others. Anyone have experience with these different ones and have a preference and why?

Products Discussed in

To Top