1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

squeaking sound: idler pulley?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bobwilson1977, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Jun 8, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Yesterday I installed a new battery. Just for kicks I started the engine and listened to it until it warmed up. I could distinctly hear a sort of quiet squeaking sound. Definitely coming from the right front of the engine. On the right is the AC compressor and one of the idler pulleys. The noise seems to be coming from either one of these. I know zilch about AC compressors. Do they squeak when they start having issues? I'm going to replace the idler pulley tonight because they're cheap and easy to replace. But if it still does it, should I be concerned if it is in fact the AC compressor? Where I live it seldom gets hot enough to need it. But someday I'll probably move back to the South, thus will need it.

2. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    Idler pulleys usually make a grinding or wearing noise. I've yet to come across one that squeaks.
    Have you gone through any deep mud or dirty water lately?

3. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What engine do you have?

I know on the 3.4L - the A/C idler pulley goes first since it's the lowest most pulley on the engine and always gets blasted with mud/water.

I'm not familiar with the other engines...but YES, the bearings in the pulleys can squeel & squeek when they're going bad. Sometimes they'll squeel/squeek up until the engine warms up (the grease that is left inside the bearing warms up & distributes itself = stop squeeling).

The best thing to do is take off each belt and manually rotate the pulley's by hand. You're feeling for any irregular spin, rough spots, wobbling, etc. You're also visually looking for rust looking dust in the general area also.

On the 3.4L - there are 3 belts that operate the A/C compressor, Steering pump,& alternator. Each one will have a pulley/bearing. The A/C has the additional idler pulley/bearing.

Products Discussed in

To Top