1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaking wheel while driving

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Geo_taco, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Jul 5, 2020 at 6:04 PM
    Geo_taco

Geo_taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super white DCLB 4x4
    Heated mirrors
    There is a constant squeaking/chirping coming from the front driver-side wheel of my 2012 Tacoma while driving. I don't notice it above around 25mph but that could be due to road noise. It does this while driving in a straight line or turning slightly to the left but does not make chirp while turning sharply left or turning to the right. It stops under braking which makes it seem like a brake issue.

I've taken the wheel off but not the caliper and seen nothing noticeable. I replaced the front pads and discs in Sept. 2017 (~25k miles ago) and there is still plenty of brake pad left. The wheel turns freely when jacked up, and the truck remains straight (no pull to either side) under braking, so it doesn't seem like a caliper issue. I've hit the pads/rotor with brake cleaner a couple times to knock off excess brake dust; didn't really help.

During my research I've come across a few posts about bedding in the pads. I did bed the pads when I replaced them, but I have noticed after hard braking, the chirping goes away for about a minute afterward. Maybe the pads need to be re-bedded?

Any ideas what's up this this annoying squeaking and how to fix it?

2. Jul 5, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    There are a few things here that have me going different directions.
    The fact it stops under certain turning conditions, and after hard braking.

Turning has me thinking a joint/bearing issue.
    But the braking has me thinking a brake issue.

I’d jack the truck up, and turn the wheel in the direction it does not make the noise.
    Inspect everything, then turn the wheel to where it makes the noise, and see if anything moves.
    Next, I’d pull the brake pads off and inspect all the parts. Clean and apply lube to the proper location.

If that didn’t work, move on to the drive line. Wheel bearing, and CV Joints.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can help you out.

3. Jul 5, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    Geo_taco

Geo_taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super white DCLB 4x4
    Heated mirrors
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I just made a quick trip to the store after giving it a good once-over with brake cleaner earlier today during inspection. No noticeable squeaking at all but I know it will come back. My current guess is it's excess brake dust buildup from the pads.

I'll be pulling the pads and cleaning/lubing parts next. Maybe just put on new pads while I'm at it, although it doesn't need them.

4. Oct 8, 2021 at 5:40 AM
    Icygod24

Icygod24 Member

Member:

I am having the same issue now but after 3 weeks of this mild squeaking something finally gave out. I have a basic understanding of mechanics. I took a look under the truck and can't see anything visibly broken but now with every wheel rotation there's an aggressive rubbing/scraping noise. It is worse when turning to the right so it seems to be the opposite of this guy's problem.

The squeaking had been going on for weeks but Wed after something gave out I was driving around the parking lot looking for visible issues and only one of the times reparking the car with the wheel turned all the way to the left the brakes didn't really work I had to press it to the floor just to bring the truck to a stop just while parking. This completely threw me off.

At this point, I am waiting for a mobile mechanic to come to check it out. I was hoping to find some answers here. How would I figure out if it were a joint/bearing issue how you mentioned?

Products Discussed in

To Top