1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaky Front Suspension and Time for New Shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mltitlntd, Jun 23, 2011.

1. mltitlntd

mltitlntd [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    New Orleans, La
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4 V6 4WD SR5
    None
    I know there are a lot of posts on this subject, but every case is different , right?

I drive an all-stock 1999 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3.4L 4WD SR5 (NOT TRD) with Auto Tranny that I purchased in 2004 with about 90K miles on it. The truck has 164K miles on it now, and it is possible that the shocks are the originals. Lately, I have noticed my front suspension is squeaking a lot when I drive on New Orleans' bumpy streets. I have not been able to tell exactly where the squeaking is coming from, but it sounds metallic.

It is time (maybe WAY PAST time) to renew the shocks, and I am wondering a couple of things:

1. Will swapping out the front shocks get rid of the squeaking?
    2. What shocks should I install to replace the current ones?

As I said, the truck is totally stock. The rear shocks even have the Toyota label on them, though it is possible they were changed by the dealer before I bought the truck. I rarely take the truck off road, though I hunt and occasionally travel on very poor roads. I also rarely buy the most expensive in things like shocks; a "middle of the road" selection is usually alright with me.

I am looking at the KYB gas-a-justs or monomax's for the 4WD (NOT TRD). Can anyone tell me the difference between these shocks? Is it the valving? Does KYB make decent shocks? Another thread I read recommended Doetsch-Tech 8000's for the rear.

I do not want to change the lift of the truck, and I do not want the ride to be "stiff". I pull a 19' bayboat, and I may end up selling the Taco and move up to a slightly heavier 1st gen Tundra or 2nd Gen Taco, so that's another reason not to spend a bunch.

Thanks for reading, and any input greatly appreciated!

2. skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Push down hard on the front and back of the truck. If the truck doesn't stop bouncing within a second or 3, you need shocks. If the shocks are leaking or are very rusty, it's time to replace them.
    Factory, munroe, billsteins are fine for replacements.

3. mltitlntd

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    New Orleans, La
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4 V6 4WD SR5
    None
    Thanks Sky. I appreciate the suggestion

4. tex41

tex41 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra cab 4x4 TRD
    Lift, tires, toolbox, Alpine H/U, Borla exhaust. Still looking it over to get specifics.
    Nice work Sky, that helped me out a lot too. My front end feels kinda stiff, and is not smooth after going over speed bumps / dips in the road. The shocks were replaced recently, but the ride still feels kinda stiff. I'll give the "shock test" a try when I get home. :thumbsup: Thanks!

5. mltitlntd

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    New Orleans, La
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4 V6 4WD SR5
    None
    I wanted to let y'all know it was the old shocks themselves that were squeaking. I bought a new set and installed them. This stopped the squeaking.

To Top