1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SR5 PreRunner Seat Comfort

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by teq101, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Jul 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM
    teq101

teq101 [OP] MacQ

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner SR5
    I have a 2008 SR5 PreRunner Access Cab. I love the truck overall (my 4th Toyota truck), however, for some reason I am finding it hard to get comfortable in the standard cloth drivers seat. Has anyone else had issues with neck or shoulder discomfort with these cloth velour style seats? They appear to be much more firm than the "Sport" seats used in the TRD's. Feedback or suggestions appreciated.

2. Jul 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Nope, no problems here and I had lower back surgery less than 3 years ago. That's very subjective, though, as would be any opinion you receive on this topic.

3. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I found that my seat seemed a little to stiff but after about 4 months,it broke in. What I find hard on me is that the seat(where your ass meats the seat) is to short. If it came out under my knee's a little further it would be much better. :eek::eek:

4. Aug 1, 2008 at 6:42 AM
    teq101

teq101 [OP] MacQ

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the input. I agree with WilsonTheDog this is a subjective topic. I had surgery on my shoulder about 20 years ago due to a motocross spill so maybe the grey cloth seat is hitting some nerves in just the right manner. However, it's odd that I don't have this issue in any other vehicle seat or chair. Doctor just gives me the raised eyebrow. Looks like Surfsupl has a TRD package, from what I have seen on 2008 models the TRD's all have the non-cloth seats that appear to be softer and sit a little lower than my cloth seats.

5. Aug 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    As far as I'm aware, there's cloth and possibly leather for the '08 TRD... so what seats are YOU talking about?

It's not completely subjective, as Consumer Reports dinged us a point or two in their review directly because of the seats, which put the Tacoma rating below the Frontier (I was shopping between both at the time)

The major difference between the trim level of seats is that the TRD has 'sport' seats with lumbar support.

6. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    My biggest issue with the seats is the short length of the bottom cushion. There is just no thigh support. On a long drive over 50 miles or more, my left leg gets a cramp. Damn girly seats. Fortunately long trips are once a month or less.

When I was looking for a small sedan in 2000 I passed on the Corolla as it had a even shorter bottom cushion. Have seen bleachers at the ballpark that were deeper.

7. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    The differences between all the bucket seats in 05-09 Tacomas is minor; the fabric, lumbar or not, and in the TRD's, the seats have a more contoured "wrap around" backrest an lower cushion to hold riders in higher speed cornering. As for leather; it is port, dealer, or other aftermarket installed over the same internals after the original fabric is removed, but the gel type inserts that some installers offer on aftermarket leather may help. A lot of people do agree that the seats are too close to the floor; but with the sloped aerodynamic roof profile there is only so much that can be done.

8. Aug 1, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    SR5 seats have adjustable lumbar support.

It is VERY subjective. While I like CR, they are not the end all, be all of opinions. Many people, like myself, have no problem with SR5 seats, hence the subjectiveness.

9. Aug 1, 2008 at 5:41 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    I have no problems with mine either, reg cabs with buckets have "base" fabric, and no lumbar, but other than the fabric and lack of lumbar adj, they are the same seats as the non TRD SR5 models, and no offence to anyone, but I like the base fabric better than the velour.

10. Aug 1, 2008 at 11:44 PM
    teq101

teq101 [OP] MacQ

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner SR5
    As WilsonTheDog points out both of our SR5 seats have an adjustable lumbar. The big difference between the TRD seats I have seen is the fabric and the cushioning. My 2008 SR5 seats are grey velour fabric (can't slide on them) and with very firm cushioning. I took my truck back to another local dealer (closer to the one I bought the truck from) to compare to TRD seats, not one salesperson had ever seen my style of seat. The TRD seats were softer and you could slide around on them. Maybe this shoulder/neck thing will eventually go away. If not, I will consider upgrading to the TRD style seats.

Other than the seats my only complaint is the willingness of the composite bed to scratch if you slide any sharp object across it. I have been spoiled by Rhino lining and thought I could get by without it on this new truck. I am considering a rubber mat in leiu of Rhino lining which is much more expensive.

11. Aug 2, 2008 at 11:33 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Yes, it will scratch for sure. I have a couple deep ones, actually. The bed mat is a great addition, along with more D-rings. I'm about to do the D-rings myself.

12. Aug 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    teq101

teq101 [OP] MacQ

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner SR5
    I just added two D-rings last weekend to the lower front side of the bed, a welcome addition; $25 from Toyota. The instructions that came with the packet said you had to unfasten the inner wheel well cover to place the backer plate against the backside of the bed. In my case (access cab) this was unnecessary, I could easily reach the backside from underneath the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top