1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SR5 vs TRD Off Road summary. Is this right?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Kamin, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Jan 2, 2022 at 11:00 PM
    Kamin

Kamin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2022 Mag Gray TRD OR DCLB
    Hi guys,
    New here. I'm upgrading from a 2015 SR barebones and put a deposit on a TRD OR (Off Road) today. But I am very interested in this SR5 vs TRD OR question and wanted to share the reasoning I went TRD OR and have you validate my reasoning or tell me why I'm an idiot.

I was originally looking for a SR5 4x4, Double Cab, Long bed. They seem to be in very short supply and I was having trouble getting a hold of one.
    I'm not a big off-roader besides camping and the beach which the SR5 is more than enough for but a TRD Off Road is coming in at the local dealership with everything I wanted and in a color I liked so I started looking into the differences and it seems like you get a lot for your money with the Off Road.

Price difference (with just the options mentioned above):

• $2,110 or ~5%

Extras on the TRD Off Road:

• Electronically locking differential (Whether used or not this is a valuable add on.)
    • Smart Key System with remote start from fob (I don't care if you're old school or not, having remote start is fantastic and I like the "key never leaves your pocket" bit too.)
    • 120v AC outlet in bed (Definitely useful for camping.)
    • Multi-Terrain Mode and CRAWL Control (Opinions seem to differ if this is useful or gimmicky.)
    • Service Connect 10yrs (Dealership is going to know my mileage and call me every 3,000 miles...?)
    • Remote Connect 1 yr (Gimmick to play with door locks, starter and windows from phone. I'll use once.)
    • Qi wireless charging (I don't think I'll care about this but who knows.)
    • Tire "upgrade" (quotes because I don't know if it's actually a more valuable tire.)
    • Shocks "upgrade" (quotes because I don't know if it's actually a more valuable set of shocks.)
    • Have I missed anything...?
    Then there are the cosmetic differences which I mostly like on the TRD OR but that's just a matter of opinion.

Anyway, the reasonable price difference, the first 3 items on that list and the fact that I could get it soon made me pull the trigger on the OR even though it has far more capability than I predict I'll need.

As for resale value, Carmax is definitely charging more for a TRD Off Road than they are for a SR5 and I assume they know the market.
    2021 TRD Off Road with 15k miles is $47k https://www.carmax.com/car/21591164
    2021 SR5 with 16k miles is $41k (This is slightly more than the new 2022 TRD Off Road. WTF is going on!?!?!?!?!) https://www.carmax.com/car/21162912

The price difference seems to shrink a bit as the cars get older but it is still pretty significant.

Please let me know if I got anything wrong here or am missing something. And I hope this is helpful for others trying to decide.

Lt. Dangle likes this.
  2. Jan 2, 2022 at 11:12 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The shocks ride the best of all the tacomas, its a lot nicer to drive. The tires are actually really capable, the goodyears are well reviewed on here. I like them for a stock tire. The stock SR5 tires are ass. Bigger radio display, more functional.

Offroad models hold much better resale as all TRD's are more desirable.

The long box is a big deal, make sure you can live with a 5ft box. Other than that, just get the offroad unless the money is a big breaking point.

3. Jan 2, 2022 at 11:40 PM
    MaverickT883

MaverickT883 Paintless

Member:
    First Name:
    Maverick
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-road Access Cab
    Check build thread!
    Along with this, the TRD OR also has some extra (Albiet kinda flimsy) skid plates. They’re good enough for mild off-roading. The shocks and tires are absolutely a valuable upgrade imo. If you’re not off-roading in more than moderate conditions, the stock OR tires do awesome. The SR5 tires are basically glorified car tires. The shocks on the off-road are much more plush than the sr5, whilest also taking, in my experience, a beating much better. I actually use remote connect a decent amount, it’s cool being able to start my truck as I get ready in my bedroom in the morning from a press of a button from my room. It’s always nice getting into a warm truck.

4. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:40 AM
    vivid02

vivid02 Buy a Tesla…..I need the gas.

Member:
    First Name:
    Edwin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    OEM+
    You can’t go wrong with either one.
    If you don’t mind the extra couple of bucks, I say you made the right choice.

5. Jan 3, 2022 at 1:03 AM
    bamataco4x4

bamataco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR 4x4
    I went with an SR 4x4, it was the most truck I could afford and not feel bad about the payments. If I had more money I would have went higher end. Anyone who tells you the SR5 is better is lying to you most likely due to confirmation bias. Get the best truck you can afford. You can always ignore features you don't use, you cant however dream them into existence when you find out you might need them.

MGRS, Lt. Dangle and Thunder Fist like this.
  6. Jan 3, 2022 at 1:48 AM
    ULURU

ULURU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    Personally I am a sucker for the black fender flares that come on the OR.

7. Jan 3, 2022 at 1:51 AM
    Absolut_Boost

Absolut_Boost Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB Cement
    I'm probably biased because I bought an Off Road as well, but I think the value is easily there. the e-locker is something that you might not need, but is always nice to have in case. Tires and shocks are nice for factory, but will likely be upgraded before too long regardless. The smart key system was something I had on my old 2014 corolla that I sorely missed on the 4Runner I had after that, so I was excited to have it back. And the plug in the bed has come in handy a few times already in the 6 months I've owned the truck. The fender flares, lack of chin strap and optional LED headlights make it a no brainer in my opinion.

Burns likes this.
  8. Jan 3, 2022 at 2:33 AM
    Sonofliberty92

Sonofliberty92 T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maryland 4 South
    Vehicle:
    2015 V6 4WD AC, 2005 V8 Tundra 4WD AC, 1995 T100 3.4L 4WD
    I actually went 2015 SR instead of going that route because of that $40k+ price tag. I test drove the newer trucks, personally wasn't fond of the transmission shifting patterns. I got my truck for $27k with 36,000 miles on it back in September. My payments are low and reasonable for me. I can add the suspension myself. About to add an elocker too which can be used in all 4WD modes. Just slapped some Falken AT tires on it too. All that electronic comfort stuff turns me off about newer vehicles. I personally find it unwarranted. My truck has black fender flares too :cool:

Just my .02.:oldglory:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    oneikr and Roberto123 like this.
  9. Jan 3, 2022 at 2:47 AM
    funnytaco

funnytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Disneyland, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Taco TRD Pro MGM
    Why would you be an idiot? Go for the highest trim you can afford. Nothing wrong with the lower trims either. They all hold their value pretty well so it comes down to how much $ you're willing to spend.

10. Jan 3, 2022 at 8:55 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    I've stayed with the sr5 since it was induced. Been a super reliable truck and fills all my needs. Seems the few i know here have had some gripe with their trd, last one was a fishing buddy. The sr's are good to, but i couldn't get everything with it that i did in the sr5. I originally was shopping for the sr being my first tacoma in 2020.

11. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Larger rear diff and a MT option on the OR too.

danojeno likes this.
  12. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:12 PM
    Sonofliberty92

Sonofliberty92 T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maryland 4 South
    Vehicle:
    2015 V6 4WD AC, 2005 V8 Tundra 4WD AC, 1995 T100 3.4L 4WD
    Compared to the 3rd gen diffs, but the 2015 has a 8.4

13. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    Kamin

Kamin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'm getting the long bed. That's mostly the reason it's taken so long to get the truck I want. If I were willing to go short bed I'd have had a 2021 SR5 for 4 months now. I work on my house a lot and haul lumber, doors, windows, dirt, gravel... Long bed makes all that easier. I have a bed extender from my SR that'll transition over too (should fit).

14. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:44 PM
    sporin

sporin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vermont USA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad
    When I picked mine, I drove an SR, a TRD Offroad, and TRD Sport. Top reasons I picked the Offroad...
    1. Ride: I thought the Offroad road was the nicest IMO and the more aggressive tires meant I likely wouldn't feel the need to get snow tires (which I run on almost every vehicle here in Vermont). A combination of the shocks and tire type I suspect.
    2. Equipment: I also decided that for as expensive as this thing is in any trim, I hated black switchplates. I also knew I'd be doing just enough offroading that it would be fun to have the locker and other gadgets.
    3. Looks. This is my first pick up but I've had many 4runners and other built 4x4s. I knew this was staying stock, so I wanted it to look "right" to me as it sat and the Offroad looked the best IMO.
    4. Price: The final decision maker is I was leasing not buying and the monthly difference between SR5 and TRD Offroad was very small.

Launch Mini likes this.
  15. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    The rear e-locker and push-button start (no ignition key to jab into your knee) are reasons enough for me to get the TRD OR. Everything else is fluff.

sporin likes this.
  16. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    You must either have freaky long legs or sit really, really close to the steering wheel.

lostMarbles and TDImark like this.
  17. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    More like I have other long, pointy keys hanging on my keychain. I actually sit farther away from the steering wheel than I'd like, because of the Tacoma steering column's limited telescopic travel.

ceh527 likes this.
  18. Jan 3, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Enigma8246

Enigma8246 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner Limited 4WD V8
    Just to give you an idea, I recently priced having an Eaton e-locker installed in my 4Runner and was quoted $1,480 + tax not including new bearings. If I understood your post correctly and you can get the OR for $2,110 more than the SR5 I think it would be worth it for the locker and nicer suspension alone.

19. Jan 3, 2022 at 1:24 PM
    LionGaucho

LionGaucho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock TRD OR
    Responding to the OP, the reasoning is sound.

I have owned a TRD OR for several months. I considered an SR5, but the OR suspension, MTS+crawl control and rear locker were the difference maker for the TRD OR.

In trying some relatively easy/beginner off-road excursions, I'm pretty confident the stock OR suspension and tires do their job pretty well. Many here like to upgrade tires (if not shocks) immediately, but that seems more appropriate for moderate to advanced/aggressive OR activity.

MTS has been beneficial when I have used it. I haven't needed it necessarily, but 4L+appropriate MTS has made for a cleaner ride with better traction and overall control than 4H when the terrain gets rough, rocky or sandy enough to make at or below 5 MPH a safe speed.

Crawl control isn't a gimmick, from what I can tell. Although unless you are going up/down steep grades on loose substrates or are a bit stuck in sand, it doesn't seem to have much obvious application. I've tried it out, but haven't found a good use on the generally less technical trails.

I view the rear locker and crawl control as backup features to get you past or out of an unexpected obstacle. (They are not a replacement for sound judgement and controlled driving.) So these are not really needed for your uses, but maybe they will open your horizons a bit. I expect I'll need them once or twice a year at most, but would regret not having them.

20. Jan 3, 2022 at 1:40 PM
    Kamin

Kamin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    MT? Is that Multi Terrain? I had that on the list. I didn't know about the Diff size or really what that means. Also, there are the drum brakes on the OR rear wheels I didn't list. Protects against rocks apparently.

edit: Manual trans... duh.

shakerhood[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top