1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SRunner upgrade

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by veggiedog, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Mar 23, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    SC, TrueTrac, BBK (eclipse rotors, CTS-V calipers), 275/50R17 NT555-G2
    I have been upgrading my SRunner, thought I would share. Recently installed Magnuson SC, now struggling with fuel delivery I suspect. Installation went great, but the engine does not always run right under boost. I purchased my SC directly from Magnuson at the time URD was having a special on the SC + 7th injector, but Magnuson assured me the SC ran fine on a stock Tacoma. I disagree, it does not, although I can see why a less than totally honest or knowledgeable seller might claim it does simply because if you don't know any better it is surely faster, and it doesn't throw codes.

However, as fortune would have it, I am glad I didn't get the excessively expensive URD 7th injector, and instead I went with the more capable AEM F/IC-6 at a lower price. Through some odd stroke of luck, I happened across a boomslang AEM plug and play harness for a Celica that uses the same ECU connector as the Tacoma, new and shipped for $17! I haven't attempted to use it yet, but it sure looks promising. I'll have no problem using it if it is physically capable, and the ECU connectors look identical. I just need to make sure all the terminals used on the Tacoma ECU make it through the Celica patch harness, so that I can cut and patch that harness without needing to directly splice into my harness. I have extensive wiring experience, soldering, splicing, ..., but still best to leave existing wires intact if possible (and if connectors aren't an issue). I am waiting on arrival of the F/IC-6 controller and a set of 440cc injectors. I also upgraded to a 255lph walbro (GSS342). Received wideband O2 sensor (china made LSU4.9), electrical connector, and weld-in bung.

OBX headers are on the way (no JBAs available, reasonable price with the OBXs not so much with the JBAs, I'll be sure to clean up any 'sugaring' ;) I went with a Magnaflow exhaust after reading posts in this forum. The 2.5" catback comes with MF series straight through muffler, so I added a 13216 multi chamber and I anticipate installing that instead (I'll try to polish it first), looking for quietest performance exhaust. 2 universal monolithic cats (94006), 4' of straight pipe and a couple of 45s in 16g SS404, from squirelly on ebay, for the mid-pipe. I will make 4 flanges on my mill: one to connect to the catback flange, and two to to connect the mid-pipe to the header so that I can remove it when needed, plus another for a different header (later). I wrote a cool CNC routine that allows me to easily make any 2 hole flange, I am excited to leverage that again. I may extend my CNC routine to support 3-hole flanges, and I may use a three hole at the header instead.

I will cut and tig weld all that to form a slightly custom SS304 exhaust. Foolishly I suspect, I am also working on a GT35 T3 turbo along with the CXRacing turbo manifold, so that my cat and catback system will bolt to either the OBX non-turbo headers or the CXRacing turbo downpipe. I will probably play with turbo later in time, and I would like to be able to swap back to non-turbo if the solution falls short.

Hopefully I will get fuel upgrades during the week, and I'll install next weekend so that I can play with overdrive pulleys. I'll work on exhaust as time permits, probably during a near future vacation.

Bob

I am interested in methanol injection, I suspect I will look into that soon. It is very hot in central TX, hoping for some cooling/octane from alcohol.

I already have a Detroit TrueTrac installed, have all the parts for a big brake upgrade including an on-car brake lathe project I am working on (lowering a ProCut so that I can cut rotors without needing to lift the car on a car lift).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 25, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    Slight change in plans. IDIOTS AT MAGNAFLOW can't be bothered to update their web page, and by implication their distributor's web pages, to remove discontinued items. The Tacoma catback system is no longer available and my plans are now in limbo. I purchased everything and it was all ordered and payed for when planet magnaflow called to inform part was discontinued, no longer available. Magnaflow tech support was lame, tried to justify their lack of concern for customers attempting to buy their products by claiming the web page says it may not be in stock. I made sure he new the obvious: there is a big difference between backordered and no longer available. They refused to honor their product guidance in spite of my financial outlay on other items leveraging their parts. I'll be looking at non-Magnaflow solutions now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. Apr 3, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    Well I settled down a little regarding magniflow, it seems that this behavior is pervasive; businesses just don't seem to be very professional anymore.

OBX headers arrived and they were a total disappointment, not worthy of installation on my ride without significant cleanup, possibly cutting and re-welding for alignment and flow, grinding away enormous interior slag intrusions, basic crap. Nice layout though, just fabricated VERY POORLY.

In contrast, the CXRacing turbo manifolds are beautiful to look at. Not perfect, but good quality units. Foolishly, I have decided to switch gears, giving up on the 2.5" exhaust with crappy OBX headers, and instead install the best performance muffler available: a turbo. I opted for a smaller turbo (TRB-GT3084-82-T3-V-RR, GT30 3" in, 2.5out, T3, 3" vband) than what comes standard with the CXRacing tacoma 3.4l kit (a GT35, 4" in, 2.5 out, T3, 4 bolt with 3" vband adapter) and I will be adding electronic boost control (probably via my megasquirt MS3X to avoid $300 for standalone boost controller). I hope to control turbo boost at 4-8psi via springs and/or electronic boost control (10-14psi total with SC). I already have the MS3X, hard to justify a standalone boost controller while I work through the megasquirt learning curve, but I am tempted (greddy), could sell EBC later... CXRacing intercooler is big, looks great.

magniflow 59959 metal foil cat up front for quick light-up, magnaflow 94309 ceramic out back for oxides of nitrogen, walker 3" in dual 2.25 out muffler to keep it really quiet. I will play with mufflers, but I prefer quiet and I don't have to get maximum boost/min spoolup out of the turbo, and I don't mind keeping a really quiet muffler around if used intermittently. I have full 2.5 mandrel bent SS kit to make dual tailpipes, leaning towards dual over-the-axle same-side exit, while initially just leveraging turn-downs while I work through muffler choices, could just go 3" all the way if quiet enough. I ordered 7 x 3" vband clamps so that I can swap things out, eliminate pieces. Probably overkill but I can't resist the urge to twiddle, may weld most of it later and remove some vbands after I settle on options. My goal is a quiet, emissions compliant 350hp.

I am leaving options open: reverting to SC only if twin charging too extreme (naively, I am hoping EBC will intervene), adding pistons, rods, and a bigger turbo if I end up looking for more. I suspect 350hp will be enough, fit the tacoma chassis well (with BBK upgrade, I have factory sport suspension (lowered, sway bars) and sticky tires). I have experience in this horsepower range (numerous cars), always happy there and I don't want to add all the extra extreme duty stuff to handle more torque than that on my main transport. They say tacoma's can handle 400hp with stock components, I'm trying to keep realistic goals while not destroying my ride's driveability, reliability and environmental impact.

-Bob

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    BassAckwards likes this.
  4. Apr 3, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Subd! So your solution to the magnaflow being discontinued was to compound charge your truck? I whole heartedly approve:D:burnrubber:

5. Apr 3, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Also, have any pics? I love me an S-Runner!

6. Sep 30, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    Rambling update follows...

I'm dragging my feet on providing photos of the truck; I need to compose a few discrete images so that I can continue to hide in plain view while sporting about. I regularly pick up unwanted attention, hoping to stay low.

I installed the smallest URD SC pulley, and the performance is great, but the feel is off. The SC feels like it doubles the hp/torgue at lowest RPMs, but it only adds about 30% at the top so the feeling is one of diminishing returns as the RPMs increase. Very muscular, but it runs out of wind. I have built many high-performance NA engines, I do engine swaps, I ride liter sportbikes and I drive sports cars (z3m, ...), and I like to feel the power grow with RPM.

So, I pulled the trigger on a Garrett GT3082r turbo. I now have all of the parts needed to install a turbo (manifolds, exhaust, intercooler, methanol injection, boost control, plumbing, ...), I just need to find the time to do it right (i.e. slower than most...). I already have 440cc injectors installed and [mostly] tuned with the SC using AEM's FIC-6 piggyback. I have AEM's electronic boost controller installed: I will be opening up the SC bypass valve as the turbo spools up, eventually shutting off the SC completely at about 6-8psi, with the turbo venting at 14psi or so. Shooting for 400hp, not more. I have two turbine housings from kinugawa to play with: a stainless T3/v-band 0.82AR and an iron T4/v-band 1.05AR turbine housing: I would like the turbo to spool up quickly, leverage the SC just for the low end grunt and to help to spool up the turbo.

I am currently working on installing a small convertible laptop display (thinkpad helix 2, detachable touchscreen) on the dash just above the radio to help out with on-the-road tuning, ODB2 sensor display (via Torque App, bluetooth ODB2 dongle).

I recently upgraded to 275/50r17 (Nitto NT555-G2) tires on 9" wide rims, much stickier than the previous 255/50r17 (Nitto Invo) on 7" wide rims, but also less predictable. I may try 275/40r17 on the next tire replacement cycle but the grip is much better now, just not very drift friendly like the shorter Invos. NT555-G2s have softer sidewalls in the 275 width, better for grip (conforms to road but less stable near the end of adhesion when transitioning to a slide). The ride is much softer now; I may lower the rear by 1.5" (blocks, level with front) to help with cornering at the grip limit.

I'll post pictures after I start the turbo install sometime this fall/winter after the central Texas temperatures drop. I'll be installing a BBK at the same time as the turbo (Evo rotors, CTS-v brembo calipers). The biggest part of the chore will be cutting up and welding the mandrel bent tubing for the exhaust on the downstream side of the turbo (3" with dual 2.5" tailpipes to hide exhaust mods).2019-09-30_16-06-18.jpg

7. Sep 30, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    RedManRocket

RedManRocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Sonora, Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab LT
    Esb 5.5 with Kings Mcneil 6.5 fenders Other stuffs
    What year Celica and what motor for that boomslang harness. I'm boosting my taco and would be nice to get a sub $300 boomslang harness

8. Sep 30, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    The celica boomslang harness did not work out, it was missing connections necessary for the Tacoma and it was difficult to alter (urethane potting on the ECU connector). The celica harness was a clearance item, worth it to me just for the wire and non-ECU connectors but it did not work directly on my truck when I got around to installing the FIC-6. I found wiring the FIC-6 directly to my harness went OK, and it is all soldered in for reliability (less chance for connection issues).

9. Sep 30, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    RedManRocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Sonora, Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab LT
    And howd tuning go with the fic 6 for the Tacoma

10. Sep 30, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    Lots of fun tuning on the road. I have AEM wideband, and I drive around with a small laptop connected to the FIC-6 (usb) to leverage real-time display of fuel maps (highlighted table entry dynamically updated to show current map position). I drive around till it coughs and I quickly take note of the real-time display position (rpm/boost table), I usually just put my finger on the spot causing the hickup, and I pull over on the shoulder to enrich those spots. After fixing problem spots in the map, I then go back through and try to smooth out the table (no big jumps in small regions). After getting things running good, I try to lean out sections and retest: best not to run any richer than necessary, gauged by driving feedback (coughing, pinging, ...). I am very happy with the FIC-6, but I still have a little more tuning to fix all issues. I will do more tuning after I mount the laptop display to help with that task.

RedManRocket and Dalandser like this.
  11. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    RedManRocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Sonora, Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab LT
    Right on, sounds like you got it down. And I'm guessing you use the fic-6 software. Did you have any issues getting the fic to connect to the software because I can't get mine to for some reason. And it's not connected to the truck just to my PC via usb

12. Oct 1, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    I had no trouble connecting to the fic, usb powered only before installing in the truck. I installed AEM Fuel Ignition Controller software version 3.07 on windows 10 without issue, able to connect to standalone fic via usb. I don't remember doing anything special. BTW, I installed unit in passenger side kick panel after unmounting OEM connector back there to make room. I added 90 degree usb patch chord and usb host socket accessible near the top of the kickpanel so that I can connect to fic without removing panel.2019-10-01_16-10-42.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Rldanie likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top