1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Start-ability Malfunction 2012 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MGMAddict, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Dec 23, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    CPONEIL

CPONEIL Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 2wd TRD Sport
    None
    My 2013 with 15,000 miles did this at lunch today. It's only 55 degrees here and the car was only sitting for 5 hours, so I don't think it is weather related. It only started doing this the past couple of weeks, and has always started on the second attempt. My father in-law is mechanically inclined, but tends to kill flies with nuclear bombs. My truck is still under warranty, but it sounds like it is pointless to even have the dealerships fix this.

Is this similar to the engine knocking issue and can be fixed by only putting in higher quality gas?

2. Dec 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Its funny you ask that question, I haven't noticed the problem when I fill up with ultra grade gas. I have been filling up with unleaded the past couple of weeks just cause of being tight on money during the holidays. Next time I fill up ill put in some ultra grade and see if I still notice the issue.

3. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    SD TACO GUY

SD TACO GUY New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘09 Dbl cab 4x LngBx
    NA
    My ‘09 does it randomly, sometimes, in the summer a week or two apart, in the winter, sometimes goes three months without an issue. I have started running premium with no ethanol, and seafoam on occasion. Have gone several months without an issue but today at 15 below zero outside, went into have a glass chip repair done. They pulled it in their warm shop and it would not start. Lots of crank just acts like no spark. Same issue but usually I let it set 30 seconds to maybe a couple minutes and it will fire right up, as soon as you hit the key. This thread is old, but hope someone still following it that have some advice. Is it not possible that a crank position sensor would do this, or would it just die completely? Have not pulled the fuel pump or check the filter on it so that’s probably the next step as it’s a high mile vehicle and not aware that it has been done in the past. Strong running truck other than that and I love it. Could’ve made a better decision when I bought this Tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top