1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Start up noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Clarence White, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Aug 15, 2022 at 6:06 PM
    Clarence White

Clarence White [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    None
    Hello every one, I have a 2014 Tacoma.
    4.0 engine. Once in a while on start up, my engine sounds like it isn't getting oil quick enough. It sounds clattery for a couple seconds. And then goes away. And runs fine. Also sometimes when I excelorate around 30 miles an hour, my engine sounds a little clattery for a short time, and them goes away. And runs fine. Is anyone out there having the same issues. Or has any one found the answer ? Thank You. Clarence

2. Aug 15, 2022 at 6:12 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    A sharp clattering on startup is typically either slack in the timing chains or a cam phaser that isn't locking properly.

How many miles?
    Have you checked your oil?
    Been keeping up with oil changes?
    Any codes?

Key-Rei and TnShooter like this.
  3. Aug 15, 2022 at 6:42 PM
    Clarence White

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    None
    I purchased this truck in April of 2022, I have changed the oil twice, I'm using a toyota filter.
    With 5w30 Castrol blend. Where do I start ?
    Thanks

4. Aug 15, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    Clarence White

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    None
    Also, no codes

5. Aug 15, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    My truck doesn't like Castrol it gets louder with it, try Mobil 1 or better yet AMSOIL.

6. Aug 15, 2022 at 6:51 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    Look down the oil fill with a light and see if it's got a bunch of sludge buildup in there, it may have been neglected by the PO.
    How many miles on it?

Key-Rei likes this.
  7. Aug 15, 2022 at 7:03 PM
    Clarence White

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    None
    I have 105,000. On my truck. I have done all my fluid changes since being the truck, everything was in poor condition with the fluid changes.
    Transmission, Rear Diff, Front Diff, and transfer Case. All is clean now and working well. I will look into the oil fill tomorrow. What are your fillings on Castrol Blend ? Would you recommend something different?
    Thank You

8. Aug 15, 2022 at 7:19 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    I mean for the most part in my opinion oil is oil as long as it meets the minimum specifications for the vehicle, is the correct viscosity, and you do your oil changes at 4-5k mi (less if you do alot of short trips/idling) there should be no problems.
    Are some oils better than others, yes but without seeing actual tests as proof all you can go by is manufacturer claims and other people's opinions.

That being said your not gona fix any issues caused by previous neglect with good oil and proper change intervals, there are products out there that claim to be engine flushes that will get rid of some of the sludge but I couldn't tell you if they work or not.

My opinion is pick a good oil, stick with it, use an OE filter and do proper change intervals for maximum engine life and minimal problems.

My preference is Valvoline Syn Power but like I said everyone that cares has their own preference, all others get what's on sale at the wally world or quick lube.

TnShooter and Key-Rei like this.
  9. Aug 15, 2022 at 7:40 PM
    Clarence White

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    None
  10. Aug 15, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    Best overall oil I have found with the least noise is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Extended-Performance-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00IPS3GMI

Castrol edge extended, but change every 3000 miles. Second best is Pennzoil platinum ultra, must be ultra, regular platinum is really bad.

Stick with OEM filters.

All of that said, I have bought used 1gr-fe engines with 40,000 miles on them that looked great on the outside, but we're completely gummed up on the inside because the person never changed the oil. So mileage doesn't mean everything. The suggestion about looking into the oil fill is a great place to start. When you look in there it should look fairly clean and shiny and a steady spray of oil spraying on the cam chain (when running). With bad oil flow it usually either looks more like drops from a leaky faucet or like sporadic spurts of globs of oil. Next cheapest thing to try is a cheap $20 USB endoscope off of eBay to check out the inside of the engine.

Lastly, if there is an oil pressure issue, that clattering would most likely be from the oil pump. When your looking at the truck from the front, the oil pump is inside the timing cover towards the bottom passenger side. Get under the truck and have someone start it when it's been sitting or whenever it usually makes the noise and see if it's coming from that area.

Hope that helps a little, without pulling the valve covers or the oil pan not sure what else to try.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top