1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starter going?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xterranv, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    xterranv

xterranv [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    MGM TRD Sport
    Hi All, I have a 2012 TRD Sport. Only 5k miles on it and the starter sounds like it's going. This has happened 3 times now in owning it, anyone heard of it or experiencing the same issue? When it happens you turn the key and it turns turns but won't turn over fully to start. I have to Stop ... wait .. and try again and it will eventually turn over fully the second try. Not sure if it's a faulty battery thing.. or a starter. Going to have to bring it to the Dealer... :( Any thoughts? :confused:

2. Apr 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Search for "hard start". This seems to be an issue with a few members here, and I don't recall seeing a definitive fix for it. There was also a TSB on this for older models. I think for the most part those who have had the issues say it just happened as a one off. The only advice I seen that seemed to help was to allow the fuel pump to come on before you turn the key to full start. Best of luck.

Frank

3. Apr 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    If it turns (creating a spark) its fuel or air, not the starter. Most likely problem, fuel source.

O2+fuel source+spark= ignition.

Sorry for not being a help, but you need more information.

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    xterranv

xterranv [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    MGM TRD Sport
    Thanks for the replies.

It's turning, just sometimes it won't catch until the 2nd or 3rd try. Had it for 4 months and it's happened 3 times so far. It seems to only happen when its sat for a bit in the cold, Like overnight. It's happened twice, first thing in the morning, and once the other day after a really cold day with a bad rain/wind storm after sitting in the parking lot of my workplace for 8+ hours. Once I get it started, it's fine and you can't get it to do it again.

It's at the dealership now, they kept it overnight to see if they could get it to happen since it was another cold night. They told me when I dropped it off that the Tacoma's are known to have a longer start time than what's "normal" for other vehicles??... however what I'm describing is too long.

Products Discussed in

To Top