1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting my audio process

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by blbuford, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    blbuford

blbuford [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7 L
    Hey guys, I bought a head unit from crutchfield last week (Pioneer DEH-P4100UB) and now I'm contemplating on what I should do for the front speakers. I was thinking something like the Polk Audio db6501 components. I do plan to add a amp somewhere in the future. Are these speakers good? Is there a better option out there? My max for the front speakers is 200$, and I tend to listen to alot of heavy rock and some acoustic stuff, I think the question I'm getting at is "Are these speakers the best match for my needs?"

Thanks for your time,
    Brett

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The best match for your needs is what sounds best to you. Try some speakers out at local shops and see what you really like.

BTW, the speakers that you picked are pretty good. I don't see any reason that you wouldn't like them. However, they would not be my first pick.

3. Sep 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    BurritoJimmyFan

BurritoJimmyFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext Cab TRD
    Gray Wire Mod, DRL Mod, Deckplate Mod
    What would be your first choice in that price range? I'm in the same boat as the OP. Thanks.

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
  5. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM
    blbuford

blbuford [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7 L
    Would I mess up the speakers if I ran them off the head unit (No amp for now)... Because crutchfield just told me I'd ruin them by under powering them (Which makes absolutely no sense to me).

6. Sep 21, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    KAPendley

KAPendley Best Hack I Know

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Shaved, Lowered,Airbrushed (some)
    You wouldn't "ruin" them, but you would definetely NOT get the best sound out of them either. If you are going to use head unit power, ENTRY level speakers will sound better than more expensive speakers, as they do not require as much power to sound better. Speakers that require more power just sound like crap (would sound worse than stock) without an amp, so you would be very disappointed.

7. Sep 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I have personally liked Infinity Reference and Kappa componest for around $200. There are some here that do not like them. I am using some Pioneer Premier components, but they were a tad over your price point. I think I payed $250 for them. In the end, it depends on your ears. Go and take a listen to as many as you can, before you buy something.

I live in east Dallas, but would be happy to let you listen to what I have sometime.

BTW, OP, I have last year's version of that head unit. The HD radio thing is cool with the improved sound quality and additional stations. But, the menues on mine are very frustrating to navigate. Hope they fixed the one click station reset issue. That is a huge gripe from me.

Products Discussed in

To Top