1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

STAUN Internal Dual Beadlocks

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by HBMurphy, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Jul 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy [OP] Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Has anyone used these? If so what do you think of them? Had any problems? Would you buy them again?

This is how they work...
    [​IMG]

2. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    I was just about to post the same question. Anxiously awaiting peoples responses. :p

3. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:03 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Sorry that I dont have any answers for this particular question, but I do have a suggestion:

Just get some walker evans beadlocks:D

You really offroad your truck so it would be money well spent IMO.:)

4. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:12 AM
    mreimann

mreimann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    those almost look like run flats

5. Aug 23, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    I am leaning more toward the staun internal bead locks because they offer protection for BOTH sides of the wheel. Also, they seem a LOT simpler than all those screws on external bead locks when it comes to changing a tire and balancing. Plus they seem to lock the bead with extremely low pressure in the tires whereas external bead locks still have a tendency to slip when the pressure gets too low.

6. Mar 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Erik

Erik That smells like pure gasoline

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    10'TRD off-road
    Shrockworks bumper+ IFS skid, 4xInnovations rock sliders, Toytec Bilstein/Eibach 5100 @ 2.5", 3" All-pro leaf pack w/Bilstein 5100, PIAA 510SMR, PIAA 1500, Python LC3 2-way Auto-start, Fog lights on w/Parking lights, ATRAC Hack, Diff breather mod
    I read some reviews where people were saying the staun beadlocks break easily. I dismissed the idea of using them after reading the reviews, but after price shopping for real beadlock rims I might just give the stauns a shot. I want to find out more info from ppl who used them though.

Check this out (I forget what forum I got it from):

Who is running staun beadlocks?
    How do you like them? How well do they work?

Holly shit do I have tech on this subject.

Harry sent us the outer liner for our 20" wheels. They got here a little later then I needed them so we went tire testing without them. The Pro Comp stickys needed a good beating. And I already had the tubes.

So here's the deal

Used (2) 480/18 motorcycle tubes side by side on a 20 x 9 Pro Comp aluminum wheel. Drilled both valve stem holes on the inside wheel area just behind the center and then the other equal distance from the back lip.

The motorcycle tubes have a threaded valve stem so once installed, they don't move.

If I ever have a tube failure, nothing goes flat 'cause the stems are bolted in.

Inflate tubes to 15 lbs and go.

I ran the tires flat just so it couldn't get any worse for the tubes. 4 hours of testing in the rocks and I couldn't get them off. Winched the rig sideways and wouldn't de-bead. Almost flipped the buggy a few times doing it.

Dragged the buggy all over the place using the Bobcat and pulled every angle you could think of. Still on there.

Now the Staun locks are here. They didn't have tubes for 20's so I was to supply that part. They're still on the shelf. I think I'll install them before Supercawl just to be safe but the tube only deal really seems to work. I'll be leaving the shot at home and taking water only.

I have a few friends that are trying it this weekend on some wheelin' trips. We'll see how it does.

Cody Wagner uses the Stauns and is really happy.

There are other advantages to the tubes with or without the Staun liners over a normal outer only beadlock ring. The sidewall loss of height is greatly reduced and if the tire is flat, you can't push into a rock all the way to the wheel. And it's a run flat.

OH YA. Did I mention that it cost 20 bucks per wheel ! I try anything for 20 bucks.

More info to come. There is also a thread in the comp forum on our buggies including the electric buggy. All these rigs will have Stauns and Pro Comp sticky's on them at Sema. I'll update that thread with new picks on Monday.

7. Jul 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    Bump to see if more people have had any experiences with these.

8. Jul 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    hmmm i wonder if just tubes without the locks would work on our trucks. i wonder if the air will leak around the valve stems

9. Apr 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    Anybody tried these out lately?

Products Discussed in

To Top