1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stearing fluid leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by somek1d09, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    somek1d09

somek1d09 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Mendon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    Two Kicker L5 subs with a Kenwood 1800 watt amp and Dual indash moniter. Flowmaster 50 series single in dual out right infront of the rear tires. Future Mods: (Within next month) URD True Cold Air Intake Airaid Throttle Body Spacer Future Future Mods: (When I get the money.) Toytec 3" lift Bilstein 5100s all around URD Short throw shifter Tints Custom Paint Dick Cepek DC-1s with 31"-32" tires All New Door Speakers/Components Total Chaos UCAs Custom Upholstery HID lights/fogs much more to add later on!
    My tacoma is leakin stearing fluid pretty bad and its causing the truck to not turn unless i'm moving over 5mph.. i think it may be a gasket or a loose line. has anyone else had any of these problems?

2. Mar 7, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have you crawled underneath the truck and looked around?

Did you contact the dealer? You're still under warrantee....??

Did you check the dipstick? If needed, pour some fluid in it and don't let the system go dry.

3. Mar 7, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    somek1d09

somek1d09 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Mendon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    Two Kicker L5 subs with a Kenwood 1800 watt amp and Dual indash moniter. Flowmaster 50 series single in dual out right infront of the rear tires. Future Mods: (Within next month) URD True Cold Air Intake Airaid Throttle Body Spacer Future Future Mods: (When I get the money.) Toytec 3" lift Bilstein 5100s all around URD Short throw shifter Tints Custom Paint Dick Cepek DC-1s with 31"-32" tires All New Door Speakers/Components Total Chaos UCAs Custom Upholstery HID lights/fogs much more to add later on!
    yeah.. looked around. i believe its the gasket sprung a leak. i put thicker fluid in hopin that it'll work.. it should be under warranty.. haven't played around in a while.

4. Mar 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're under warrantee, don't do anything to it!! Don't put thicker fluid in - or else that'll give them the excuse to deny warrantee coverage.

Call the dealer!

5. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    somek1d09

somek1d09 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Mendon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    i've taken the truck to the dealer, they said it was the stearing rack.. paid to fix it, yet when i got it back it still leaked and my air bags and horns didn't work, took it back and they fixed the horn and air bags, but i'm still leaking.. but this time out of a different place.. this truck is beginning to give me a head ache. but i'm not really trusting the dealer's word anymore so i'm taking it to a private mechanic that i'm friends with. i just hope it goes well because the damn truck has been in and out of the shop the past week for it.. and all i've been doing is driving to school and work.. thats it.

6. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    im not sure if taking it to a private mech will be your best bet considering you are under warranty...its the dealerships responsibility to correct this problem!

7. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Yeah, you shouldn't have paid for the leak if you still have a warranty on the truck...

8. Apr 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    somek1d09

somek1d09 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Mendon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    I took the truck to a private mech, and he knows what the issue is and thinks he wants to go with me to the dealership and rat them out.. he was tellin me i was right on where the leak was and he says its the seal, and some of the bearings.. i grew up with the kid so i take his word on it cause he is rebuilding a few cars right now. he is gonna get me the parts for his prices and is gonna show me how to do it all

9. Apr 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I would demand my money back for the rack it did not need. This is BS. They are just trying to make money, not trying to keep a customer.

10. Apr 12, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    somek1d09

somek1d09 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Mendon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    yeah i refused payment for now. but thats because i don't have that kind of money right now due to other expenses. its kinda hard to pull in the payments now as it is working 30ish hours a week and school full time.

all i can say is i've had enough of the truck.. yeah its a nice truck, don't get me wrong.. its just i've had issues with it since i bought it.

11. Apr 13, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    The steering rack on my 07 was leaking from the factory got it replaced and I only had the truck for a week. It was filling the tie rod boot up on both sides. I had to fill it up every day after driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top