1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steel to TRD Alloy Wheel Swap

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by snakedogwarrior, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    snakedogwarrior

snakedogwarrior [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    Electric Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Pioneer with Nav & Blue Tooth /Alpine PDX5 Amp, 2 10" Kicker Subs, MB Quart Componet Front Speaker, Rockford Rear Speakers, TRD Alloy Wheels and Tires
    Please help. I have an 09 Tacoma Double Cab long bed 4X4 SR-5. It came with the 16" steel wheels. I bought a set of 17" TRD alloy wheels from a guy that upgraded his 09 immediately after buying to oversize rims and tires. I put them on and then leaned about TPMS! I also notice a significant shimmy starting between 60 and 65 mph. I figured this was a balance issue because the TMPS had been removed and the wheels and tires not rebalanced.

I had new senors installed and the wheels and tires balanced. I still have the shimmy! The wheels and tires are virtually brand new, so it's hard to believe they could have been damaged. Certainly no visiable evidence. I talked to a friend that mentioned the TRD Alloy wheels may have come with hub centric rings and and if so not having them could be causing the problem.

Can anyone anwer this question or give me some idea what's going on. I've come this far I hate to give up and go back to the steel wheels.

Thanks

2. Aug 7, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    There aren't hub centric rings that come with them. They already are hub centric from the factory.
    What tires are on the wheels? Did you have the wheels road force balanced?

3. Aug 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM
    snakedogwarrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    Electric Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Pioneer with Nav & Blue Tooth /Alpine PDX5 Amp, 2 10" Kicker Subs, MB Quart Componet Front Speaker, Rockford Rear Speakers, TRD Alloy Wheels and Tires
    The tires are the Bridgestone HT's that come stock on the 2009 Tacoma TRD. I did not have them forced balanced.

I'm not familar with that term. Is that the procedure of balancing the tires and wheels on the vehicle? Mine were done on a balance machine off the vehicle.

The shimmy at 60-65 is the same as before they were balanced.

I am hoping you are saying that I should be able to take the wheels and tires off a new 09 Tacoma TRD and put them on my new 09 Tacoma SR-5 and it should work fine. Correct? For clarity I did use the lugnuts off the tacoma with the Alloy wheels, meaning I'm using the lugnuts that came with the wheels.

Thanks for your help

4. Aug 8, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
  5. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    snakedogwarrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    Ok, had the wheels and tires road force balanced today. Did not solve the problem. Had a Toyota technician drive it today and he confirmed there is a strong abnormal shimmy. Yet they balanced out fine on the road force balancer. Is there something I'm missing here regarding removing the steel wheels and putting on the TRD Alloy wheels? I used the lug nuts that came with the TRD wheels. I am stumped, it drives perfect with the original steel wheels.

Is something different about the hub or stud length on TRD Vs an SR-5?

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

6. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Double check the lug torque??

7. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    snakedogwarrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    Thank you for your response.

I may do that, but three different shops have had them on and off now. I think the odds of them all not getting it torqued is small. I've watched them use a torque wrentch once the truck was on the ground. However, it is a valid point.

I have to think there is something simple and obvious missing. I'm just wondering, are there supposed to be washers with the lugnuts. I know in the past, long ago, my customer wheels always used lug washers. Just wondering if it is possible the guy gave me the lug nuts and kept the washers?

Grasping at staws!

Thanks

8. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    johnecon2001

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    They should look like these for the TRD shoes.
    [​IMG]

9. Aug 8, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    tacobale

tacobale Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a new 09 with the steel wheels and they also have a shimmy above 60 mph. I am going to have them rebalanced next week. I was also thinking of getting the same rims you have. I sure hope this isn't something that is going to be a problem!

Isn't that the reason we bought Toyotas, so we DON'T have these stupid ass little problems!!!!!

10. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    TR3NT

TR3NT saving up

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    White 09 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    recessed billet, blacked out valence,cheaters lrgm, 5100's all around, painted rims, weathertechs, painted pinch weld, 33" Hankook m/t, mkw wheels, tsb leafs
    i think some "in set" lug nuts would do the trick. the lugs that come with the steelies only butt up against the rim rather than filling the hole that the sport rims have

11. Aug 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    snakedogwarrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    The lugnuts I have came with the TRD wheels I bought and look just like the ones in the picture on this thread. The also have the washers, I was hoping that was the problem, but no so lucky!

I am stumped.

Lugnut for Alloy Wheels-320.jpg
    2009 Tacoma TRD alloy Wheel-320.jpg
    2009 Toyota Tacoma-320.jpg

12. Aug 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    snakedogwarrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    Thank you everyone for your advise and suggestions. Now for the final solution.

There was about 3 cups of water in each tire! Evidently the person I bought these from either left them outside with the bead broke before air them up and selling them to me. Or they used a large industrial air compressor that was full of water.

Anyway, thank you to Beaverton Toyota in Beaverton, Oregon for a super job. My truck is smooth, drives better with the Alloys and I am "very happy"

What a nightmare!

13. Aug 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Holy shit...Did NOT see that coming. Glad you got it worked out!!

14. Aug 10, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I'm researching, for a swap im doing soon, base steel wheels to aluminum wheels sr5 i believe. Not the ones that looked terraced or stepped, but the 5 spoke ones that fork a bit at the rim end. My question is , will tpms modules simply swap wheel to wheel?:confused:

15. Aug 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    snakedogwarrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    No, the Steel Wheels and the Alloy Wheels have a different TPMS. I did read on another thread somebody claimed that some tire dealers can rebuild the Steel Wheel sensor to fit the alloy wheels for a very reasonable cost. They mentioned Les Scwab. They are on the West Coast only. Don't know if it is true.

If not, you will have to buy sensors. I got mine from Carquest for $90.00 each. Ouch! You might search craigslist and ebay.

You will also need different lug nuts. The Lug nuts for the steel wheels can't be used with alloy wheels.

An other note: I was told that if I wanted to keep my steel wheels for use for snow tires I would need to get the computer programed each time I switch. Last night before they figured out my balance problem I put my steel wheels and tires back on the front for a test. The sensor alarm light did not come on, meaning the computer still recognized my steel wheels. Yeah!

Good luck.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Aug 10, 2009 at 11:40 PM
    johnecon2001

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I would never take your truck back to the place that originally "balanced" your tires. How could they seriously miss water in the tires?

17. Aug 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM
    snakedogwarrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 X 4 LB
    You point is valid; however, maybe not fair. I had them intall the new sensors which required breaking the bead but not taking the tire off the rim. When you only push the top of the tire down with the machine, it is likely they couldn't actually see in the tire. Possible! Having sold tires a life time ago, I know it might be possible to miss if you're not expecting to find it. That's why so many people missed it. It is possible that the first shop inadvertently put the water in, but I doubt it as I had the shake before I went there.

Now, if they were very skilled and experienced, they could have known that when they had trouble balancing the tires and wheels ie.. the balance kept changing and that is an indicator that something is in the tires. I've since learned that from another expert.

An older experienced mechanic at the Toyota dealer notice the people there having the same problem and he walked over and said, "you should break the tires off the rims because there is either a bird's nest, a dead mouse or water in the tire! Even then they only did this with the rear tires. The front evidently balanced out on the machine and they assumed they were ok. I left and immediately speed up to 60 mph and had the severe steering wheel shimmy. Went right back and I couldn't believe it when they said, maybe we should have checked the front tires for water!

In the end, I'm just greatful it is solved and works great now after many wasted hours.

18. Aug 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Les schwab likes to stay on top of stuff. I'm thinking I'll do the steel/winter tire thing too. I suspect each tire rotation requires a reprogram so snoopy ol ECU knows which sensor is where. So add $300 for sensors, $650 for tires i woulda bought in 1-2 years sooner, this just swap rims got spendy lol.

19. Aug 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Interesting twist. Glad to see things worked out!

Products Discussed in

To Top