1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steel vs Alloy Wheel TPMS compatibility

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by glwood6, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Nov 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I found out the hard way yesterday that the TPMS sensors from steel wheels will NOT work with stock alloy wheels, in case anyone was wondering, at least not mounting-wise. I got a set of alloy wheels from a fellow TW member, and went down to Firestone to take advantage of their buy 3 get one free Revo sale. When they went to put the sensors from my steel wheels on the alloys, they are a different (more acute) angle, and will not seat correctly, and possibly would break if you tighten down the nut to specs...the other alternative is to rotate them 180 degrees in the valve stem hole so they are away from the rim surface, but you risk breaking them if you get a flat or change a tire, forgetting that they are in that orientation.

OEM sensors are on the way from the original seller of the wheels, will have to be programmed for my truck...more work than I thought when I got different (alloy) wheels, it seems...:(

BTW, the sensors will work as sensors in the 180 degree re-orientation, though.

One question I have, though, do the OEM sensors from the alloy wheels I bought have to be mounted on the wheels to be re-programmed, or can they do that just by having the truck and sensors there at the dealership at the same time, separate?

2. Nov 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    ccs368

ccs368 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    I think they have to be mounted in the wheel and up to equivalent tire pressures for all four + the spare because it has to give feedback to the ECU that it's operational and working properly. Plus don't they reprogram the TPMS in a certain sequence to know FL, FR, RR, and RL? If you did this outside, installer may mismatch unless marked properly.

3. Nov 22, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    The part about them being operational and working properly makes sense...I'm not too sure about the sequence thing, though. I can't see having to have them all reprogrammed every time you do a tire rotation...

4. Aug 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    i have steel wheels on mine now and bought alloys to put on this spring. The alloys i got have tpms already on and i'm told should be compatible. We shall see.

5. Aug 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I did a write up a few years back on TPMS. I have stock steels, and an aluminum set.

The alloy set of TPMS can be programmed into the ECU, and no TPMS light. Part of the trick when I get the winter set on, is they reprogram and have to select one type or another. My 08 spare has the steel type sensor while the other 4 wont be.
    I get mine reprogrammed for free from where I bought my winter tires, so good deal all in all.

6. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    Good to know Tacoyota. Had a similar set up on a 4runner but both sets were alloys, they had to be reprogramed every time you switched to winter tires and back to summer. I'm just glad to hear from someone who actually went from steel to alloy (even better that you do it yearly) and i shouldn't have a problem. I plan on keeping the stock steelies with the tires on them to put back on the truck when i unload it for another tacoma. Then i'll have a spare set of alloys for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top