1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

steering chatter?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zaclikeszac, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Feb 20, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    zaclikeszac

zaclikeszac [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Vehicle:
    ’07 DCSB TRD Sport
    3" lift
    i have a 07 Sport and for the last 15-20k miles or so the steering wheel jumps to the left and right with every bump and crack in the road, just the littlest bit. the feeling is different than feedback i've felt from any full-size truck ive owned or driven. truck tracks straight even with the wheel jiggling left and right a few degrees, its quite the annoyance and the feeling is much stronger on steep speed bumps. Ive recently moved so i don’t even have the tools to pull a skid plate ATM. looking for educated suggestions of what the culprit is before i start dishing out money for diagnostic time. rack wear? cracked balls? away bar problems?
    cheers!

2. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    Tonytacoma05

Tonytacoma05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    6" Fabtech with BDS/Fox rollovers and shocks, stretched YAKIMA load warrior rack, custom hybrid winch bumper, Rigid lights, onboard air.
    Jack the front of your truck up, grab the tire (do this on both sides) put one hand on top and the other hand on bottom of your tire and try and move the tire in and out, then move your hands to front of tire front and back, try moving it in and out, if you can't feel any significant movement or play then wheel bearings, tie-rods and ball joints should be good.
    Inside your cab(drivers side) on the floor, where the steering column goes through the floor, there is a plastic cover held on with 4 round clips(no tools needed) remove all 4 and then cover, inspect all parts of the steering shaft visible with your eyes and hands.
    These are the most usual suspects, I have 154,000 miles on my truck with a 6 inch lift and 35's and Haven't had one problem with my rack and pinion or inner tie-rods.
    Let me know what you find out.

zaclikeszac[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:36 PM
    zaclikeszac

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Vehicle:
    ’07 DCSB TRD Sport
    3" lift
    I’ll jack it up in the morning. i really hope i don't have to rip out a steering shaft.

4. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Could be an alignment with too much caster

zaclikeszac[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:43 PM
    zaclikeszac

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Vehicle:
    ’07 DCSB TRD Sport
    3" lift
    well, sears did the alignment, and its been almost 15,000 miles, annnnd I was towing overloaded from Alaska to cali, a castor alignment makes a lot of sense.

6. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:51 PM
    Tonytacoma05

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    6" Fabtech with BDS/Fox rollovers and shocks, stretched YAKIMA load warrior rack, custom hybrid winch bumper, Rigid lights, onboard air.
    If it is the steering shaft, removing it is the easy part (just did it a few days ago) if it needs to be replaced, paying $200- $300 plus for a new intermediate shaft is the hard part.

7. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:55 PM
    Tonytacoma05

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD

Products Discussed in

To Top