1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering column fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TOYOTA 09, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Apr 21, 2010 at 4:42 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the zip-tie wearing out. If it does, it's 5 minutes to replace it. If it falls out, try a few o-rings like I did.

I have tried several items, but it is hard to get anything to stay between the rubber ring and the shaft. The best potential fix I can find is a tolerance ring (see the picture). I looked into using these as we use them at work in a few applications. I just couldn't find a catolog part that would work and wasn't about to shell out for custom tooling. Even then, tolerance rings need to be retained so they wont slip out. I honestly think the best solution is to replace the current clearance fit rubber bushing with an interference fit bushing. Like I said in my other thread though, Toyota nor the dealer wouldn't touch mine because they said it was normal.

BNphoto.jpg

2. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 [OP] Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    one person suggested actually closing the zip tie so it would stay in place...doing this today!

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Thank you for the correction. It is good to know. :)

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    09blacktaco

09blacktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The Rockies
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 TRD OR
    Just put in the zip tie and looped it around in order to zip it closed. You don't need a real thick zip tie to do this. Seems to have helped/fixed the slop for me. Damn shame we even have to do this....

OldManTacoFeels likes this.
  6. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    If you have trouble filling the gap, just keep adding more until it is snug. I had to use like 20 o-rings because they were so skinny.

7. Apr 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    you can also buy heavey duty zip ties

8. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Anyone else try this?

I'm curious, for those who did do it, what steering slop in particular were you trying to remove?

I've actually noticed two types to some degree. On loose gravel or uneven surfaces, I feel like my wheels are running wild in the front. It annoys the hell out of me. I've also noticed if I hit certain uneven points on paved roads, I feel like it significantly affects the direction of the wheels. It's not a massive issue, but it's an annoyance.

I also feel like there's just a slight vibration in my steering that shouldn't be there. It's not the same feeling as when you have a wheel out of balance. It's much more subtle. I don't think I can even really see it, just feel it through the wheel. It could be I'm just becoming hypersensitive to every little noise and vibration in this truck though.

pinktaco808 likes this.
  9. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    You would not really feel the slop or vibration unless you drive on a washboard type dirt road with lots of little bumps. I really noticed it on cobble stones streets. Anyway..the cost and ease to fix this makes it a no brainer....put the zip tie and ...if you don't like it take it out. But this solved 100% of my steering slop issues.

10. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    09blacktaco

09blacktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The Rockies
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 TRD OR
    I had a loose sloppy feeling in my steering since new. Only felt it when driving on dirt roads, really bumpy paved roads, or offroading. The zip tie fixed my slop completely. It was hard to get in between those 2 joints, but once I did I secured the zip tie so it will never go anywhere. This mod works. :)

11. Apr 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    Is this assembly the same on auto trans Tacos as well? I've had this same complaint since day one. The steering is too "rubbery".

12. Apr 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    i would think so but not sure!

13. Apr 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I stole a portion of Toyota09's photo (I hope he doesn't mind) so I can illustrate what I'm about to say.

Yes this is a design problem, because the original design was modified by someone who did not understand it.

Every car I owned for 4 decades had this rubber part. Different makers call it different names but it's generically known as the "rag joint". They work fine for 100,000 miles then rot out & you put a new one in for $10 (last time I did it, which was a '79 Mercury.)

But they normally do not have those four grey spacers on the bolts. look at the photo:
    ragjoint_8e816030781a13d07608f170bb525778b422366c.jpg

Those spacers move the steel flanges much farther apart, and the rubber, which formerly had to deal with shear stress now must deal with a lot of bending force. In the video you can see the rubber bending out of plane because the longer bolts (fitted with the spacers) have MUCH more leverage against the rubber.

I'm not certain, but I suspect toyota did this when they jacked the truck up. I suspect the lower (non-pre-runner) Tacos don't have this issue.

I can see several ways to fix this problem, though none as simple and cheap as just wedging a chunk of plastic in there and hoping it stays. I'll be pulling up my carpets to have a closer look this weekend.

scottalot likes this.
  14. Apr 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    THANK YOU TW!!!! I thought something was wrong with my truck. Went to grandfathers farm in OK during spring break and experienced this problem when on the back roads and on his rocky property.

I WILL BE DOING THIS TOMORROW

Best forum EVER!

scottalot likes this.
  15. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:

Agreed! I love this place...the members are all creative problem solvers who love their trucks!

Most of the members are very nice too...very little bickering goes on here compared to other forums ive been in

scottalot likes this.
  16. Apr 29, 2010 at 1:38 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Very true! Although we've all crossed paths with some D-BAG's on here. Oh well theres always gonna be downers wherever you go.

scottalot likes this.
  17. May 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    Def doing this tomorrow... haven't had the problem yet, but I plan on driving off road a bit and its so easy and cheap why the hell not

18. May 30, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    would this work on a 1st gen ?

19. Jun 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:

did it work?

20. Jun 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    When I first did this, I didn't think it made that much difference. But actually, now over a month later, I realize every time this thread pops up that I no longer notice the same issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top