1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Column Slop on 09 DC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalsmthme, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I agree, but until someone can get Toyota to accept there is a problem there wont be a fix.... so fixing it yourself is the best option to get what you want....

2. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    bought some rubber washer today...gonna try to fabricate a fix this weekend and post up a DIY!

3. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    freesample

freesample Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport LB
    Visors, Deflector, Husky Liners, too expsensive for good ones :(
    any news toyota 09?

4. Apr 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Yes...used a zip tie to fix it! See the thread titled "STEERING COLUMN FIX"

5. Apr 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    sierra141

sierra141 Mean Green

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Offroad
    Kings
    Me 2 it works try it.

6. Apr 21, 2010 at 3:10 AM
    freesample

freesample Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport LB
    Visors, Deflector, Husky Liners, too expsensive for good ones :(
    toyota should just sell a thicker rubber sleve or what ever you call that lame excuse of a dampening mechanism they have there

7. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Well, I tried the zip tie fix today. It really doesn't make much sense to me that it would work. I think it did lessen the loose feeling slightly. Can't decide if it made enough difference to matter.

8. Apr 27, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    OK. I'm gonna book-mark this. I've had this same annoying issue.

9. Apr 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    OK, after looking at the videos, I'm going to modify mine.

It appears that the 4 "bolts" which hold the steel flanges to the rubber are actually rivets, and won't come apart without grinding, so what I'm gonna do is this:

First I'll clean off all the grease like three times with clean rags & solvent. Most important will be to clean the areas where I'll be applying adhesive.

Once it's clean I'm going to fill the gap between the lower shaft & the upper flange with urethane adhesive sealant. I'll glue above & below it as well, capturing the shaft in place. Once that sets I'm going to create a dam or pocket aound the big slots in the lower steel flange where the long pins stick through it. (Those pins are there so you can still steer the truck if the rubber splits or rots. It'll be loose as hell of course, but it's for safety in that situation.)

Basically I'll be filling that pocket up with urethane so it forms a big rubber grommet, gluing the pin to the flange. Once that sets up i'll turn the wheel & do the other pin as well.

The idea of the isolater or "rag joint" is to isolate the driver from road shock and vibration, and since the cured urethane is essentially hard synthetic rubber-like plastic, it will still do that to a reasonable extent.

But the urethane is tough stuff, and it should solidify the whole assembly so that the steering feels more direct than the stock assembly.

10. Apr 27, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Interested to see your results. I was thinking of trying to find some sort of rubber sleeves to fit over the ends of those pins to solidify things. My thought was similar to the second part of your idea, just to fill the gaps in the safety area to try to tighten things up.

I did the zip tie thing. I really don't think it does much.

11. Apr 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I am interested in your solution too. If it's not too much trouble try to document some or all of the procedure for us. A couple of pictures would be really nice. :)

Thanks!

12. Jun 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    mattsowell

mattsowell Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    I thought i was nuts untill this! Have been out kicking the crap out of old forestry roads and could hear/feel the same thing. Asked the wifey and she told me "it's brand new hun, not like ur chevy. ur just paranoid cause u were always fixing that damn thing." I can't wait to hear a good fix for this cause the dealer here is AWFUL

13. Jun 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top