1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering rack source

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shift96, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    shift96

shift96 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine does the exact same thing. if you look on the rack on the drivers side there is a big ass allen bolt with a locking nut on the outside. I adjusted that in slightly and took alot of the play out of the rack. It only takes a slight tightening though. Too tight and the wheel will not return to near center on it's own. I feel the knocking in the wheel is not the rack though, I think it's the upper shaft as illustrated in the pic I posted. Trying to find out how to take that shaft out. Anyone know? I'll get a service manual but wanted to see if anyone did it.

2. Jun 3, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Hmmm, I'll check that out. Yes, I had someone turn the steering wheel while I watched the bushings deform quite a bit, and that is what got my attention. I think the biggest problem is my worn out suspension. OME 881s and Billies are going on very soon so at least the goddamn wheels will stay on the ground. That should help...

So my steering is just a bit unresponsive. At speed on the highway, I can wiggle the steering wheel back and forth a little bit (amount 1-2 inches)with almost no response, but it is smooth, not clunking.

Do you guys feel a clunk when driving and turning?

Man, my 93 DX (with 200K miles) had none of the myriad little annoyying handling and clunking issues that these trucks do with the driveline/axle wrap, suspension, and steering (oh, and various clutch squeaks). I am not too impressed with the step down in quality. They obviously reengineered some components, but not for the better.

3. Jun 3, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    shift96

Member:
    I only feel a clunk in the wheel when hitting certain ripple bumps. Smooth as silk on the highway.The rack bushings aren't that important to do. Everyone on this forum says to replace them and blames them for everything, I did, and if I knew there was going to be absolutely no difference I would have left them alone.

I also mis my 93. Had 300K on it and it ran great. I should have kept that instaed of selling it.

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I was going to keep it forever and get a "new" car as a daily driver with more creature comforts, but then a tree fell on the truck...and I can't live without a truck, so I got an upgrade. There is a lot to like about the truck in general, but the suspension has really pissed me off. TRD my ass....and I am really glad I did not get a 2nd gen :eek:. At least I don't have frame rust issues.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    shift96

Member:
    I'm going to put handlebars on my truck instead of a steering wheel:D

Products Discussed in

To Top