1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

steering right by its self wtf!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mattchew2035, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sep 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    mattchew2035

mattchew2035 [OP] New Member

Member:
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 v6
    cold air intake, rimes, buckshots
    hey
    i have a 99 V6 4x4 and it has a slight problem when you crank the truck with out holding the steering when the wheels turn all the way right making a loud squilling noise from the moter area the power steering pump i think it is coming from if anyway can tell me what is causing this auto steer it would help alot cause it is very aggervatting

2. Sep 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW! I have no idea why it would do this.....Alignment...Tie rod maybe....

3. Sep 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    What you're describing sounds like a loose power steering belt, or maybe loose power steering pump, check your fluid,look for leaks ,shit like that. Now you say it turns right all by itself if you don't have your hands on the wheel ? While accelerating ? Depending how hard & how "sharp" the wheel jerks from your hands , I'd almost say that you are in 4 wheel drive, it wouldn't be the first time its happened, if you have manual locks,check them, make sure transfer is in 2H, Don't rely on that glowing green light always being there or always being right, for auto locking, shift on the fly, the solenoid,accuator, whatever you want to call it , have one serious flaw, when they go out about 85% of the time they fail in mid-position, meaning a locking hub, a locking diff can be left in an "engaged " position,or disengaged or even a partial engagement i.e.; Your right hub is engaged while your left one is free spooling ,thats why its trying to do donuts on its own, but start with the belt adjustment / inspection....:cool:

4. Sep 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    mattchew2035

mattchew2035 [OP] New Member

Member:
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 v6
    cold air intake, rimes, buckshots
    it does it as soon as you crank the truck fluid levels are good hubs are unlocked and its in 2h its the craziest thing im seen im let people look at it and the just scratch their heads one guy told me it was the steering rack

Products Discussed in

To Top