1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel alignment off

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Blindboyb, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Oct 3, 2019 at 9:44 AM
    Blindboyb

Blindboyb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    02 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    2.5” Bilstein 5100/ToyTec Coils up front Bilstein 5100/Add-a-Leaf in rear 33” Falken Wildpeak all around
    hi all,

I just had the truck lifted and dealer said all was good except foe bent tie rods. These bent tie rods prevented proper alignment after the lift and now when the steering wheel is at zero position (wheels straight), the steering wheel is about 90 degrees off. Thoughts? I didn’t have any issues before the lift.
    02 Tacoma Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100 front and rear
    ToyTec coils front
    AAL in rear
    33” Falken Wildpeak

2. Oct 3, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Ccrames2018

Ccrames2018 Jack of some trades.

Member:
    First Name:
    Caden
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 V6 6MT
    -Bilstein 5100s @1.75" -16x8 SCS Ray10s with 305/70R16 General Grabber AT -CMC -URD Short Throw Shifter -Bed stiffeners -Bed mat -Aftermarket head unit -AFE Rebel exhaust -ME-SO Customs dome/map lights -Window tint with eyebrow -OEM LED 2015 tail lights -GTR Lighting headlight bulbs -Husky floor liners -Camper shell -Sumo Springs -Air intake -Aftermarket Volkswagen key fob -Aftermarket A/C knobs -Aftermarket LED license plate lights -Console organizer -JBA High Caster UCAs
    I can't say for sure but it seems like they have absolutely no clue how to work on your truck. I installed my suspension myself and had no problems. I'd take it back and have them fix it.

3. Oct 3, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    Gixerkiller

Gixerkiller TW...what a silly place

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Pre Runner DCLB White
    decals, morale patches, headlights, tail lights, toytech lift w 5100s, Falken Wildpeaks.....
    Replace the tie rods and realign.

simple, and the only way to fix the issue

4. Oct 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    Blindboyb

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2.5” Bilstein 5100/ToyTec Coils up front Bilstein 5100/Add-a-Leaf in rear 33” Falken Wildpeak all around
    He did say a tie rod was bent. How big a deal is that? Quoted $450 out the door for all new tie rods both sides. Reasonable?

5. Oct 3, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    Gixerkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    decals, morale patches, headlights, tail lights, toytech lift w 5100s, Falken Wildpeaks.....
    do you have any mechanical abilities above changing a flat?

tie rods are stoopid simple, there is even a tool to remove and install them, the tool is about 45 bucks about the same for tie rods and about an hour to r n r them. Since you have a pre runner you don’t need to loosen or shift any front drive units.

6. Oct 3, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    Blindboyb

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Pretty mechanical, just never done tierods. Watched a video, seems simple enough. Little pissed about the situation altogether. Dealer should have called when issue was found. Oh well. On to the next project I suppose.

7. Oct 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    Gixerkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    They ain’t hard, just remember to count threads on the ends or measure and mark where they should be on the new ones. You will need an alignment after the job.

you can get close on toe in the garage by using straight sections of wood or metal and a tape.

8. Oct 3, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Outer tie rods are ridiculously easy to replace...inners are a bit more involved but still really straightforward. Lot of good Youtube step by step tutorials online which is what I used to change out mine on my own (both inner and outer).

Popping off the outer tie rod is the only real technical part of the outers and a $12 Pitman Arm puller from Harbor Freight makes it really easy.

Products Discussed in

To Top