1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

steering wheel centering-doable?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ridgerunner, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Mar 28, 2008 at 6:16 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    First of all I aint thrilled with the lack of that "return to center" feeling I used to get in the older cars after a turn completed..but I can live with it. But I was hoping someone out there knows if there's an adjuster in the 2001 steering system whereby I can center my own wheel perfectly without interfering with the alignment. My alignment is perfect..but that damn wheel is evvvvvver-so-slightly off center and I can never seem to get a tech to give a crap enough to get it right! BOY would I love if there was--had an adjuster on an '86 Jimmy and it was cool to be able to run and adjust to perfection!:)

2. Mar 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    I had an 89 Jimmy, man that was a tank with a 4.3 V6. We laughed soo hard when it finally died, after all we put it though.

3. Mar 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Yeah mine was the fullsize one with an anemic little 5 litre V8 that dutifully but pathetically labored to move THAT 5000 plus pound behemoth! I honestly don't know what they were thinking back then-but back to my quest I hope i get a good line on some info here..by the way did you know that your 4.3 was an actual 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off?

4. Mar 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    glassdoc

glassdoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring City, PA 19475
    Vehicle:
    04 DubCab 260,000 miles
    Stubbs Sliders, 2.5" lift, Ken-Mtn Bumpers, Leather Seats, AM/FM/CD/DVD & CB, IP Trans-Upgrade, (2) Trans Coolers, Synthetics Thru-out
    Why not just remove the steering wheel, center it and reinstall it? Of course, be sure to A: disconnect the battery B: pull the air bag fuse Upon replacing everything, put airbag fuse in before connecting the battery back up.. Or per the service manual, adjustment can be made thru the tie rod ends..

http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sr/stewhe/reppro.pdf

5. Mar 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Hey Glassdoc-my thanks to you for another helpful link! That tie rod approach looks doable, no? The wheel removal..just my luck the spread of the notches would put me off-center to the other side and then my head would tilt the other way when driving!

Products Discussed in

To Top