1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel clunk/notch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DavidL, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:57 PM

DavidL [OP] Member

Jul 11, 2008
    I've got a '97 4wd 4Runner with 188K miles that has a "catch" or notchy feeling in the steering about 5 degrees left or right of center. It's most noticeable on freeway lane changes where the resistance has to be overcome before the wheel turns freely. It's slowly getting worse and is making lane changes more jerky than they should be.

Any ideas as to the culprit, and approx. cost for repairs? Just wanna be somewhat informed before turning it over to a repair shop.

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM

LUSETACO Central Scrutinizer

Jun 27, 2009
    First Name:
    Aim-ish country PA
    08 TRD OFFROAD 6spd
    FM 10 series, K&N 63 series intake, 5100's at 2.5, TSB springs, Connex 3300HP,Fat Boy 2 pill, Wilson 1000, Dual ammo cans, Cue ball shifter, color matched bumper, Homeroshi grill, car seat mod, Hella triple tone air horns, AVS vent visors, Debadged, Deflapped, Custom painted eyelids and third brake light, Custom radio antenna , Rugged Cover, Husky mats, yellow fogs, Warn shackle, 265/75 16 Trail Diggers, American Racing wheels, Rugged T bedside decals, Ultra Gauge, too much homemade stuff to list.
    I had a POS Dodge colt back in the day that had the same problem. It's the rack and pinion steering. The rack gets clogged up then there is resistance then a sudden jerk of the wheel. I would start looking there first.
To Top