1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel cover removal.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 03redtaco, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    03redtaco

03redtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Myrtle Beach SC/ Starke FL
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 DC 3.4L
    So, i need to remove my steering wheel cover to get to the horn sensor. Everytime i turn the steering wheel the horn goes off. I pulled the fuse and i have no Emer Flashers. Guess that they are on the same fuse I need to fix the problem. I found this thread but is for a 2nd gen. Is this the same for the 1st gen?? Do i risk deploying the air bag?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...ow-how-remove-center-part-steering-wheel.html

2. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
  3. Jun 23, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Just make sure to unplug the ground on the battery 30+ min before messing with airbag components and you should be fine. Anything to do with Airbag stuff does run some risk of it going off, but as long as aren't being mean to it, you'll be ok. Even manuals say that when its completely removed to put it face up just in case it blows.

As far as removing it, there's two plastic covers on each side. Under those, there's a fairly large torque screw then it should just pull straight off.

Its all pretty easy.

4. Jun 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    03redtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I think that i will go give it a try. Well in about 30 minutes or so.

5. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    03redtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    Okay. So I unhooked the battery and then went on a motorcycle ride. So that was an hour. I got the airbag off. So where is the horn sensor, relay what ever it is called? I don't know where it is. So i put it back together and hooked up the battery. I started the truck and everything was fine. The only problem that i ran in to is that my idle is REALLY low. About 500 rpm while in park and about 350 to 400 rpm while in drive. Don't think that is normal. It was idling at 750 on the mark.

6. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    (1) Yes - the horn and hazard flashers are powered off the same fuse in your 2003 Taco.

(2) There is no 'relay' or 'sensor' in the horn circuit. There's the intermittent switch in the horn pad on the steering wheel, and the signal routes through the Body ECU to the horns.

(3) If turning the steering wheel triggers the horns, it sounds like you have a short or crimp in your spiral cable (aka 'the clock spring').

(4) Your truck is running oddly because disconnecting the battery 'wiped' the ECM, and it's having to 're-learn' ... It should be back to normal after a while.

Products Discussed in

To Top