1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel not straight when driving

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 96Taco, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    96Taco

96Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    As the title line states.... when I am driving in a straight line the steering wheel is not straight. The "12 o'clock" position of the steering wheel needs to be at about the "2 O'Clock" position to keep the car traveling straight.

If I keep the steering wheel perfectly straight and lined up the car goes left.

Any idea what kind of problem this is linked to?

Wanted to have a bit of an idea before going to a shop.

Thanks guys.

2. Jan 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    its probably just your alignment, myn veers to the left alot if i let go of the wheel but its not so dramatic like being in the 2 oclock position, that seems like alot, maybe its more than alignment, not sure but someone will know just give it like 5 minutes haha :)

3. Jan 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Alignment is off. Simple fix.

4. Jan 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    You probably need an alignment.

Inspect your suspension to make sure nothing's bent, broken, or excessively worn. Inspect the control arms, ball joints, bushings, tie rods, and CV axles if you have a 4 wheel drive. Also get a look at the spindles and make sure they aren't bent.

May also be a good idea to jack up the truck and check wheel play to make sure the bearings are ok.

5. Jan 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Gasp! The truck has Democrat leanings!

Make sure both front tires are inflated to the same PSI and have equal tread depth. If that checks out, then alignment is off.

6. Jan 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    TACO2003

TACO2003 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 TRD 4X4 Black Tacoma
    6" Fabtech Suspension lift. Headers with dual exhaust. Flowmaster muflers. Engine Computer chip. Tiregate with spare tire. Mickie's TTC Claws 315/75R/16 tires. Dick Cepec DC II wheels. Shrockwork front winch bumper. 8,000 Lb Warn Winch. Heavy duty leaf springs. K&N cool air intake. Sprayed bed liner. Bushwacker flare fenders. 1/2" Steel plated rear bumper.
    If you have it checked out and it's ok then pull the steering wheel and set it even.

[​IMG]

7. Jan 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Don't pull the steering wheel.

What happened to make it this excessively off? Big hit on one side or the other? Do like everybody else says and make sure your suspension, tires etc. are good. Pay special attention to your tie rod end nuts. Make sure they are tight. If all checks out, get out you 12mm socket (maybe 14) and loosen the two bolts that connect your lower steering shaft to your steering rack. Once loose, you can slide the shaft up off the rack. Then have a helper sit in the truck and put the wheel "straight" , making sure that the tires are also straight ahead. Then lower the shaft back down onto the splined male end shaft of the steering rack. Tighten down bolts, then go to alignment shop asap.

However, if your not confident in diagnosing this or are unsure why it is that your steering became this way, just take it it to a shop.

8. Jan 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    96Taco

96Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    Thanks for all your help guys. It was a little off when i purchased the truck, however I hit ice and ditched it pretty hard. Since then its been way off. I Just hope I didnt bend or shift around some of the steering assembly and its a simple allignment.

9. Jan 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    hakan

hakan Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hakan
    SF
    Vehicle:
    2002 toyota tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road 3.4
    trail gear weld on rock sliders, leer camper, OME 883front Dacar springs in back, grey wire mod, rear diff breather mode, maglight mode, deck plate mode, camper shell defrost mode, UWS tool box,( viv air inboard air is coming soon)
    could also be your rack and pinion. look to see if there is any oil on the bottom.
    I have the same problem I went to a rally reputable alignment shop and they were not able to fix it, they found a leak and said my gears are probaby worn out. well its probably true.

10. Jan 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    Jraugust

Jraugust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5
    Fabtech 6" Suspension lift 17" XD wheels 35 in Toyo MT Black powder coated tool box.
    Take it to the alignment shop and they should beable to tell you if anything is bent. Most likely a simple alignment will be the fix.

11. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    quickpick

quickpick New Member

Member:
    Baytown,TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD
    what if truck goes perfectly straight but steering wheel is just slightly turned to left(not even holding it)?Can i straighten it by disconnecting shaft and put it straight?

Products Discussed in

To Top