1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Step Bars that bolt to frame

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BartStar, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jan 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM
    BartStar

BartStar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I want heavy duty step bars that bolt to the frame ,,NOT bolt to the body
    will these work?
    http://www.runningboardworld.com/we...-bars-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-2005-2008.aspx

It drives me crazy I can't find any information if they bolt to the frame, or to the body

EDIT: I researched the Westin Step Bars web site, can look at the install instructions,
    On my 2011 Double Cab calls for 2005-11 Tacoma Double Cab, part # 25-2775, looked at install and these bolt to the BODY
    BUT! The 2005-07 Double Cab part # 25-2675 and these bolt to the FRAME like I want.

QUESTION? Will the 2005-07 frame bolt on step bars work on my 2011?

why do I want step bars that bolt to the frame?
    because I have seen the cab-body bolt on step bars cause extreme damage to the body-cab of trucks in the past as of driving off road, driving over rocks and tree stumps, I want the step bars for protection.
    money is no object, I want the best and strongest!
    don't care what they look like, don't care if they rust, I want them to serve a purpose.

any suggestion would be most appicated
    Thank You

2. Jan 29, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    If you want something that bolts to the frame you are going to have to drill into the frame. The steel frame rails are thick and it takes forever to drill 4 holes per side. I actually got 7.5 holes done when my $20 bit broke and decided that was good enough for now. Still need to finish that last hole someday...

Look into bolt on sliders by Demello, All Pro and others...

3. Jan 29, 2011 at 4:38 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Try www.autoanything and lookfor the Westin Signature Series Nerf /Steps. I have a set my tacoma and they are strong and look good. They definitly bolt to the frame and take a couple of hours to install. All hardware is supplied. Just looked on running boards.com and Auto anything is cheaper.They come in chrome and black. If you have any questions, Let me know.

IMG_5267.jpg

4. Jan 29, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I have a set that comes outof the same factory as many rebadged brands, that bolts to the frame. There are existing holes they bolt to. Mine are Blackcat Flash (stupid name) but the same bar is badged by many. Talk to Luke at truckalterations.com, where meany Tacoma owners get products from.

5. Jan 29, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    You guys keep saying 'bolt to the frame' but the factory mounting points are to reinforced parts of the cab, not the frame. Right?
    The frame rails are black steel rails that run the length of the cab. There are no tapped holes there and very few mounting places. You have to drill through the frame rails to mount to the frame unless there is something new that's changed to the post 2006 Tacomas.

6. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    Usually with bolt on rock sliders (I installed CBI's) there are some holes already in the frame...you just slap a 1/2" bolt in there and put a thick washer and nut on. Others you have to drill...it helps a lot if you use a floor jack to put pressure on the drill, instead of trying to use your own strength.

7. Jan 29, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Westin uses plates that are drilled for the existing holes in the frame. where the frame is boxed in and the holes are not that accessable unless you have a real long, skinny arm, they give you nuts welded to a long piece of flat stock that you can reach the through bolt with. Very easy install.

8. Jan 13, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    nivek5sfe

nivek5sfe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB 4x4
    Reviving this old thread because I'm looking for the same answer. Got a new frame under warranty but they had to cut the bolts holding my step bars to the frame cause they were rusted on. Got some new bars but didnt realize they were rocker mount. My rocker holes are terribly rusted and i cant even get a bolt started in any of them. I need either a frame mount step bar or possiby new mountimg hardware from westin for my old bars. Anyone know if I can just get the mounting hardware from westin or a set of frame mount bars that won't brake the bank or take drilling of the frame?

9. Jan 13, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    10tacosr5

10tacosr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Washington Twp, South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    5100s/Headstrong Coils/Deaver AAL/Level8 MK6/FalkenWildpeakAT3
    I would just tap the threads for the mounts on the body and use what you have already. Hardest part will be figuring out what thread size they are unless somebody knows off hand.

10. Jan 13, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    nivek5sfe

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB 4x4
    Good idea. I didn't think about tapping it. Wouldn't I have to drill it for a bigger bolt size though

11. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    10tacosr5

10tacosr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Washington Twp, South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    5100s/Headstrong Coils/Deaver AAL/Level8 MK6/FalkenWildpeakAT3
    nope. just figure out what the thread size is. buy the tap that size and thread it in. remember to use some kind of lube like wd-40 or pb blaster. work the tap in and out and you should be good to go.

12. Jan 15, 2019 at 4:17 AM
    nivek5sfe

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB 4x4
    The bolts that came with the kit are m8 x 1.25 so thats a starting point.

13. Jan 15, 2019 at 4:22 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I also want to know this.

I really like the N-fabs and I helped install them on my BIL 4Runner and they mount to the frame but the damn Tacoma ones mount to the body.

Can we just drill the 4Runner steps into the frame of a DC Tacoma?
    I don’t think the frame holes line up.

14. Jan 18, 2019 at 4:47 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    N-Fab Rock Rails with optional steps bolt to the frame but have a step.

15. Dec 20, 2023 at 4:13 AM
    sanchemv

sanchemv Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    2005 Blue Tacoma Access Cab
    @johneman....do you still have your Tacoma because i just bought some frame bolted side steps and they seem to be off a bit unless I am missing something. I have an 2005 Tacoma Access Cab as you have in this picture and know its an old post but just trying to find some help.

IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top