1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Step by step removal and installation of e-locker 3rd member

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MonkeyProof, Dec 19, 2011.

1. May 14, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    TacoSTIG

TacoSTIG Untamed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    WA, Issaquah
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC, TRD OR
    That was a fun call... :anonymous::drunk:

Crom likes this.
  2. May 16, 2016 at 3:04 PM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    Especially with me leading a bachelor party wheeling trip before I could get it fixed. I did impress a few people getting up and through everything that we did in Sedona and cottonwood. But definitely aired down more than usual and used my armor to bump up some stuff.

3. May 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM
    TacoSTIG

TacoSTIG Untamed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    WA, Issaquah
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC, TRD OR
    haha sounds it! I'm ashamed to say I got the same call, sure wont do that again. :facepalm:

4. May 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    Yeah, you don't make that mistake twice. I was happy on my time to fix the problem. 3hrs from tools pulled out to put away and changed my front pads as well. With beers and some bs. Feel like I'm starting to get good at taking my truck apart and putting it back together.

5. May 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    shawnMc

shawnMc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
    I swapped 3rd members today, and some gear oil came out of the passenger side axle housing, maybe 1/2 cup worth. Did I break the axle seal?

6. Jul 19, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    jakebray

jakebray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Locked DCLB with Kings and crap
    awesome write up!! helped so much!

7. Aug 27, 2016 at 2:19 AM
    Penten

Penten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Iowa
    hey so I removed my rear axle and while I was moving it to try and disconnect the driveshaft it slide apart in two and was wondering if that will affect the gears inside at all. Being that I dont know exactly how they were lined up together

8. Sep 7, 2016 at 7:33 AM
    TanaTaco

TanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    My gears got absolutely shredded, I have the 3rd member removed and just wondering what the cheapest approach is now. I'd like to just keep the stock gear ratio. I've called all the salvage yards within a decent drive and checked craigslist and can't find a 3rd member nor a rear end. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

9. Sep 7, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    I would give ECGS a call and let them know what you are looking for. They might be able to help you out.

10. Sep 23, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    TanaTaco

TanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    Anybody know what the torque specs are for the electrical connection plug that goes into the locker is? ECGS sent my third member back with the connector tied to the driveshaft connection (I'm guessing for cleaning purposes?)

11. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    jyffmguy

jyffmguy Taco Boosh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Midlothian, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC SB OR
    Cannot thank you enough for this write up, Monkey. I've been getting vibes and groans for a while, but wasn't sure where they were coming from. Today I had the leaf spring recall replacement done, and the service manager told me his mechanic says my differential is shot and needs replacement. They quoted me $2890 (two thousand eight hundred ninety - not a typo) to replace the rear diff. I clarified with them that they were just replacing the diff, not the entire rear end. I'll be in touch with ECGS tomorrow to order a differential and get to fixing this on my own for ~$700 and four hours of my time. Where do I send a bottle of your favorite booze?

MonkeyProof[OP], BudMan and deeezy like this.
  12. Jan 26, 2017 at 11:32 PM
    jyffmguy

jyffmguy Taco Boosh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Midlothian, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC SB OR
    Okay, I did it. Started at 4pm, took a two hour break to feed the family, and finished at 11:30, with an hour in there for the RTV to cure and taking my sweet time the whole way. Not bad for a first try. Thanks again Monkey for the write-up. I'm curious, if it took me, who has never done this kind of job before, about 4.5 hours, what part of that $2890 replacement cost was labor? Ridiculous.

Some take-aways:

Drop the spare tire and have way more room to work.

125k miles and seven years of Chicago weather make for sticky rear axles. A combination of prybar and slide hammer eventually did the trick. I left the nuts on the end of the hub studs so I didn't have a hulk moment and pull the axle too far out.

Ratcheting wrenches are awesome. Get some.

The spacer idea to keep the axles from sliding back in worked really well. I skipped this step at first, and struggled to get the diff out. Using an impact length socket kept the axles from sliding back in and binding up the diff.

After bolting the axles back in, I crawled under, was seriously concerned for my brake lines, but they went back into position just fine.

If you've got a locker and and order a new diff from ECGS, you need to take the locker sensor off the old diff and put it on the new one, or there'll be a gaping hole and the truck won't know if the the diff is locked or not.

I did not find any large pieces of metal anywhere, and as far as I can tell, both the pinion and ring gear are in good shape. This leaves a bearing as the source of my problems, I think? Not educated enough to dig deeper than broken teeth on a big gear.

------

All in all, not a bad job, and my biggest time wasters were freeing up the axles. I feel I could do this job again in half the time, now that everything is loose. The truck drives like its new now. No more nasty vibes and intolerable noise. @ECGS was great to work with. The website said to expect a two week build time for the differential. I had it 3 days after I ordered it. Seriously @MonkeyProof , where do I send a bottle of booze?

Adventurous, samiam and BudMan like this.
  13. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Doing this soon, I have to start reading. What's the common roadblock that might be run into in the process?

14. Mar 7, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    Biggest issue I had with the rear was finding two things big enough to hold the axles out of the housing enough to pull the 3rd out. But my background is bikes not cars, so my big socket collection is still growing. Other than that, it's heavy to catch while lying on your back so don't drop it onto yourself.

15. Mar 7, 2017 at 7:33 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Thanks I'll keep it in mind.

16. Mar 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    2x4s work pretty good.

Rakso[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Mar 7, 2017 at 9:02 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Cool, I have plenty of scrap 2x4s

la0d0g[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 7, 2017 at 9:05 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    And you can angle them to rest on the floor so they don't slip out. I don't leave them extended for any length of time though. Once I pull the diff, I push those suckers back in.

samiam likes this.
  19. Mar 7, 2017 at 10:10 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    How long does ECGC takes to put together a 3rd and ship it?

20. Mar 7, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    I received my diffs, on two different orders, both in a week, and I'm in Hawaii.

austin2009 and Rakso[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top