1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Step Rails=Useless - '08

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dan_o_89_rs, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Jan 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    dan_o_89_rs

dan_o_89_rs [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2x4
    STOCK
    What i mean by that is that they are so close to the body that there is really no use for them. I think I measured just under 3" of difference in the step and the inside step. these were put on in another state. it'll be a few months before we're back there and i really jsut dont wanna fool w/ that company again.

so i was looking at the mounting bolts. seems to be 6 on each rail (2 bolts per bracket; 3 brackets per rail). had anyone attempted to lower the rails by spacing the brackets away from the body? or does anyone know whether the frame has threaded holes or there are nuts in use?

this seems to be the only method i can think of. i would probably use 2" wide flat-stock steel, and stack it no more than 1" thick. also longer bolts are more than likely needed.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jan 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i've seen some people do it on tall trucks, where they do like u said and make some bracket extenders to drop them down to actually be able to reach them

3. Jan 1, 2008 at 2:36 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Same problem here. I bought some step bars thinking they'd actually be good as steps. Complete waste of money.

I'm actually looking at sliders now since they'll be useful for protection at least if not as steps. I've seen some sliders out of square tube that are as big as running boards so I'll either buy those ($600 or so), or get off my ass and make some! :laugh:

4. Jan 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM
    dan_o_89_rs

dan_o_89_rs [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2x4
    STOCK
    that gave me an idea of what material to use... haha. a foot or 2 of 1"square tubing, hacksaw, drill, spray paint, longer bolts... heck yes. i have a plan.:D

5. Jan 1, 2008 at 4:26 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap chop saw from a tool show or cheap DIY hardware store.... You do NOT want to cut tubing with a hack saw! :laugh: Well, maybe you do... I don't! I got a chop saw for free after buying blades at a tool show... Maybe it was the other way around... Either way it's very cheap, but gets the job done and I've gotten my money out of it.

Makes it easier to cut angles too if you need to. Would 1" stock be strong enough?

6. Jan 1, 2008 at 4:41 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    hey yal. i was gonna tell ya if yal like sliders and want to have "FUNCTIONAL" steps then take a look at N-fab steps. u can go to performance products and find um pretty cheap. i got a set of a DC short bed for 385 shipped to my door. VERY nice lookin! and VERY Good STEPS!!!!!

7. Jan 1, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

Can the N-Fabs support the weight of the truck? I thought they were more steps than sliders. Also, the step dropping down would catch on rocks n stuff... I'm talking about something like these:

[​IMG]
    Demello Offroad

You can use a Hi-Lift on those suckers, or slam them into a rock/tree/etc and pivot the truck over or around it. I wouldn't try that with the N-Fabs.

8. Jan 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i've got a set of the allpro offroad sliders sitting in my storage room right now...lol...those holes are a bitch to drill out to install them

9. Jan 1, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I've heard people have good luck with a step bit (or whatever the real name is...) like this:

[​IMG]

Or get some good titanium bits! Those suckers chew through anything I throw at 'me! :D

10. Jan 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    that frame is pretty beefy in places....from the drivers seat back is double layered

11. Jan 1, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Use a high quality step bit then. Easier than drilling a pilot hole, and progressively working up to the correct size bit. Oh, and don't use a cordless drill! :laugh:

Products Discussed in

To Top