1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Step slider project for my '12 std. cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ca Taco, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Ca Taco

Ca Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    El Cajon
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg cab 4x4 2.7 auto
    Thought I would share pics of my project truck (2012 std. cab 4x4). The first mod was installing a leveling kit (2-3/4"). Second mod was making step sliders which I just finished/installed yesterday. I used 1/8" plate steel and 1-1/2 x 3" rectangular tubing. I was going to powder coat, but chose Rustoleum prime/paint instead as I can touch up wear/scratches easily. I angled the tube ends as shown, and installed pop-in 1" round LED amber marker lights to back light the truck. Those little LED's are much brighter than I thought! They actually light the ground under the truck. I cut 3M non-skid strips for the areas which I step on. I used a rather large rectangular frame hole for the rear mounting point (backed up the bolt on the inside of the frame with a 3x3x 1/4" plate so it wouldn't move). The front mounts were a different story; The area had no factory frame holes and was in a very bad area to drill (cross member area). I welded two 1/2" x 1" bolts as the front mounts. I installed a Curt Mfg. trailer lighting harness/tail light converter as I do tow, but tapped off the trailer plug for the running light wires which I ran down each frame rail to the front of the steps (wiring encased in convoluted plastic tubing like the factory harness uses). I orignally was going to take power from the fuse block, so I put the electrical connects off the front of the steps. If I were to do it again, I'd terminate the wiring at the rear.

step pic 2.jpg
    Step slider II.jpg
    tacoma night shot.jpg
    Step pic 1.jpg

2. Feb 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    julian parzival

julian parzival Ninja Status

Member:
    First Name:
    julian
    Weilerbach, Germany
    Vehicle:
    2009, Tacoma, Sport
    3' lift, 285/70/17 pro-comp xtreme ATs, NFAB light-bar, spray-painted 17' FJ wheels (no spacers!)
To Top