1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo upgrade review of gear and vendors

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Flycatcher, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Feb 27, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    Flycatcher

Flycatcher [OP] Master of the Universe

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2009 Acadia (regretfully sold the Taco)
    Hello all. I recently did a nearly complete upgrade of my factory stereo system. This post is
    an informational review pertaining to the vendors where I purchased the gear and the gear itself.

Deck (Free shipping)
    Pioneer DEH-4000UB - $165 - Crutchfield

Speakers ($23 shipping)
    Front - Pioneer TS-A6992R 6x9 - $54 - Amazon (Globazar)(TOO DEEP FOR TACO, sent back):mad:
    Rear - Pioneer TS-A1682R 6.5 - $38 - Amazon (Globazar)

Replacement Front - Pioneer TS-A6972R 6x9 - $55 - Amazon (J&R Audio)

Installation parts ($16 shipping)
    Front mounts - TT2005F69 - $35 - *********
    Rear mounts - TT2005R65 - $35 - *********
    Dash kit - DASH-SINGS - $53 - *********
    ------------------------------
    Total cost with shipping $417
    ------------------------------

Vendors

Crutchfield (Radio and free dash kit)

Can't say enough good things about Crutchfield. The website is topnotch with a good variety
    of products. Once I made my choice in decks I had the radio within a week with free shipping
    and no tax. They throw in a customized installation guide for your vehicle as well as a free
    dash kit and wiring harnesses. They also send a big letter thanking you for choosing them and
    attach another installation guide with photos for speakers even though I didn't buy any.
    I highly recommend them.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ********* (Dash kit and speaker mounts)

This is definitely the place to go for custom Tacoma audio parts. They have a bunch of different
    speaker mounts to fit all the doors as well as dash kits, sub boxes and installation guides with
    hot chicks. I also had my parts within a week of ordering. I got a dash kit and front and rear
    speaker mounts. They also threw in a ratcheting nutdriver kit with sockets and driver bits as well
    as a wirestripper/crimper tool and a handful of crimp caps. It's dollar store type stuff but hey,
    where else can you get free stuff. I didn't have a crimper at all so this is definitely better
    than nothing. They did send the wrong front mounts but my email was responded to next day and he
    is sending the return label WITH the correct mounts. Not only do they give you free stuff, they
    trust you to send the wrong parts back.
    Amazon (Speakers)

I wasn't sure about ordering from them as they are only a store front for other vendors. The actual
    company is Globazar which I couldn't dig up much info on but hey, they are discounting these speakers
    at over 60%. The fronts were $150 at Crutchfield and the rears were $100. Even with the $23 shipping
    I saved over $130 over Crutchfield. Of course when I tried to install the 6992's they were too deep
    for the window to open. I put 1/4" spacers under the bolts which allowed the window to clear the
    speaker but then I couldn't get the panel to snap in. They got exchanged for 6972's which are 1/2"
    shorter.

Gear

Pioneer deck (Crutchfield)
    [​IMG]

I bought this deck mainly because of the appearance. It has USB, Front side Aux input, IPOD control,
    satellite ready, Bluetooth ready, sub and amp preouts. What appealed to me was the clean uncluttered
    appearance. Since it has very few buttons, most functions are menu driven. This isn't the type of
    radio you adjust on the fly driving down the road. It will take some getting used to but so far I like it alot.
    Dash kit/wiring harness (Crutchfield)

This was a disappointment. I didn't have high expectations as Crutchfield's site has lots of
    reviews and the dash kit didn't score very highly. It comes in a lot of pieces, it's black
    and I heard it doesn't fit well. Because of this I ordered the dash kit from *********.
    It was free however, so if anyone wants it let me know.
    Speaker Mounts and dash kit (*********)
    [​IMG]

The speaker mounts are top notch 3/4" plastic and super durable if a bit expensive. The dash kit
    is awesome. I am sure it is the same one I see in everyone else's pictures. The color is nearly
    a dead match and it fits perfectly. The cubby is much bigger than the one from crutchfield and it
    seems much stronger. I highly recommend it. Also, I had hell trying to find bolts to mount the front speakers.
    The rears are easy. Don't be cheap like me, get the bolt kit from *********. It will save you a headache.:frusty:
    Pioneer speakers (Amazon/Globazar/JR Audio)

What can I say, nearly anything is better than factory but these are worth every 60% discounted dime I spent.
    I went with the Pioneer's since I have a Pioneer deck and I am anal that way. They also stacked up
    pretty well against the others as far a wattage and frequency response go. Besides, they easily had
    the best price. The Infinity Kappa series can be had discounted as well but the frequency response is
    kind of high. Since I don't have a sub I wanted these to reach pretty low. So far so good.

It sounds Awesome!!:D

2. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:33 AM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    Great write up but you forgot one thing............How does it sound?

3. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:47 AM
    Flycatcher

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    How much better it sounds requires another post. The stock speakers say 20watts on the back and the magnet is about the size of a 50c piece. Seriously small. The magnets on the back of the pioneer speakers are about 4 to 5in across and about an inch thick. I had a dual amp stereo with dual 10in Fosgate subs in an old car so I knew what I was missing. Bass and midrange. Well, no longer. There isn't a great place for a sub in an access cab but with these speakers and the new deck I won't be needing one. It's isn't enough to make your eyes bleed, but you might rattle a filling loose.

4. Feb 27, 2008 at 1:18 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    10" subs in an Access Cab without losing space. MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    http://www.xtremekreations.com/fabrication.html

From the guys at www.xr-underground.com and used without permission:

XDsm's ride:
    xrunnerlowered013copy_94ffb8ae5b9bfc6fd5b615637551af55463528f8.jpg

ntinhri's ride:
    XRU171_d235aa029268b5f9a07b9fddadaa4b1f719b4bd8.jpg

I have a set of the panels at home ready to go into my truck. They are solid and look way better than I was expecting. I can't wait until I'm ready for this part of the project!! :cool:

5. Feb 27, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    Flycatcher

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Wow, those are awesome. Not ready for that price yet though. Where are you putting the amp(s)?

6. Feb 27, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I'm bolting it to the steel under the rear window and cutting an opening the plastic for ventilation. My truck is rather ripped apart and will never have anyone where the back seat once way so it leaves me with some options. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top