1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sticky Tailgate...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by swatjoe592, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Mar 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    swatjoe592

swatjoe592 [OP] Beware the Puma...

Member:
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma PreRunner
    20" gangsta wheels, baby seat
    The tailgate on my 2005 Tacoma seems to be stuck. There was nothing leading up to this, I was in and out of it three times today, but the last time, the damn thing wouldn't open. It seems the the right side is unlatched, but the left latch will not release. Any ideas on how to fix this before I completely pull it off in frustration?

2. Mar 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    I would unscrew and remove the plastic backing to check what's going on... maybe spray wd-40 on the movable parts once the plastic is removed?

3. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    Did you ever find out what was wrong?

4. Mar 25, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    swatjoe592

Member:
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma PreRunner
    No. I took the plastic off and the latch (in the center) itself is operating properly. The latch on the left just isn't releasing the hook. I doused it in WD-40 and dug around in there with a screwdriver for awhile, but nothing happened. I may have to break down and take it in to get replaced....

5. Mar 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Do you have a bed mat? I got mine wedged under the taigate and it caused one side to bind. Also take the inner panel off of your taigate which you can access when it closed, you may have lost a clip off of your connecting rods. Tundras frequently break these clips.

6. May 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM
    swatjoe592

Member:
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma PreRunner
    UPDATE....

I took it to Toyota and they poked around for awhile. They told me they wasn't sure what was wrong with it, but they felt certain it would take about $200 to fix. They said the part is $40, but the job is labor intensive and that alone would cost me $160. After an awkward moment of silence, I had a fit of laughter that for some reason, the sales guy didn't find amusing. He was an odd cat, but he didn't charge me for the 30 minutes or so that his people beat on it, so he's alright in my book...

Armed with this new knowledge, I drove home highly motivated to fix it myself. I went home and found the biggest screwdriver I had and a hammer and went to work. On a side note, the next time your wife asks you why you need a two foot long screwdriver, feel free to use me as an example. I beat on it for awhile until splitting the metal that the post was stuck onto and tearing it enough to open and remove the tailgate. Two little screws later and the lock was off. I'm still waiting for the part to come in, but I'm fairly confident the assembly will be substantially easier than the break down.

Aside.....I've been driving around for about two weeks without a tailgate. Gas mileage is the same. Myth....BUSTED.

BTWNaRock&aHardplace likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top