1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Still thinking mods for my 1st Gen

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by summerboy1958, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    summerboy1958

summerboy1958 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Newark, De
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD, Radiant Red
    Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Timbren Shock Assist System, Billy 5100's all around, Deck plate mod, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Amsoil 85W-90 Severe Gear Oil in the transmission/differentials/transfer case.
    I'm sure there are threads out there on all these topics, but I hope y'all will bear with me and chip in comments.

I have V6 2001. I'd like to do the deck plate mod. Is there a preferred size? I read about both 3" and 4". I plan to couple that with an AFE pro dry S. Is one better than the other?

On my old Subaru, I removed the resonator chamber (I think thats what it is called) to help improve the air flow. Any comments/threads on that?

I saw a thread on removing the secondary air filter on a 2nd gen. Any 1st gen folks that have done this?

I saw a thread about throttle body spacers. Do these things actually provide any benefit?

Thanks for your input.

2. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell o Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '13 Silverado ext cab
    4 inch deckplate will work great....and the afe pro dry s is a great filter....its what i run. no secondary filter on the first gen motors to speak.........and tb spacers are better as paper weights....save your money.:)

3. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    cole47

cole47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Hickory NC
    Vehicle:
    Ray of Sunshine
    lift, wheels, tires
    4" decplate...i run the KN filter but afe has a better rating, DONT waste your money on a Throttle Body Spacer, coming from a guy who dropped 100 bucks on one a last year, it does nothing but make an annoying ass whistling sound. And get a good exhaust to get a little more sound.

4. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM
    Toyota1998

Toyota1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98Tacoma 2.7L TRD
    KN Cold Air Intake,Add-a-Leaf,2" Leveling Kit, Rock Rims, Brush Guard, Blacked Out Badges, Flowmaster 44 Dual, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Grey Wire
    ^^^what they said. I don't have the deck plate mod, i went with the CAI, but it seems like they pretty much do the same thing. Don't waste the money on the throttle body spacer....unless you get a carberator.

5. Dec 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here, there, and everywhere
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    The deckplate is a great mod, along with the afe, but I tried the resonator reroute and it didn't seem to do much of anything, it didn't really even make the sound any different. Up to you, just my 2 pennies. And like everybody else said, don't waste time or money on a throttle spacer.

6. Dec 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 220k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper, King coilovers with Icon neoprene condoms, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs/N85 shocks/NWOR greasable mounting stuff; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W fog lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions/dif drop, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder
    Yup, 4" plate and perhaps a muffler/exhaust system?

I have a Flowmaster 40 series and I like it quite a bit.

7. Dec 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Bed Extender, OME lift with Dakars and 285 BFG KO2, Spidertrax spacers, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I love my AFE Filter CAI, and TRD Headers with the Dynomax Muffler. Great HP gain and low to mid Tq increase. Very pleased with the response and gitty up.:D

To Top