1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock 1st Gen Radio Question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by habu2, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    habu2

habu2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    I just bought an '02 Base Tacoma. The radio is an AM/FM/Cassette, with one pair of door speakers only. Two questions:

The front panel has buttons for a CD player, yet there is no CD slot. Is this a modular design where I could find the CD module and install it? or does the entire in-dash unit have to be replaced?

It also has a Fader function but no rear speakers. Is the stock amp a 2-channel unit only? or can I wire another pair of speakers into the rear of this unit and utilize the other two amp channels?

The truck did not come with an owner's manual (found one on eBay but has not yet arrived), I have looked at the online FSM and searched the forum but can't find an answer to these questions. Any help appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    IamHimeros

IamHimeros Well-Known Member

Member:
    The stock stereo in mine has both tape and CD...more than likely just a normal run of the mill base headunit with the option to add a CD. Costs are kept down by mass producing things, so thats why you have both the fader and also the CD button. If it were me, I would just go to onlinecarstereos.com or sonixelectronics.com and get a decent aftermarket headunit. You can get a pretty decent one for cheap, it will sound leaps and bounds better...and if you decide to throw another set of speakers in the rear, you know for sure that you will have a HU that will power those and the door speakers.

Products Discussed in

To Top