1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Dunlop vs. Destination LE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DheadTaco, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    DheadTaco

DheadTaco [OP] Pill it till you kill it!

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red Pearl
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    Considering buying another set of the Dunlops because of the quiet ride. But, my buddy works at Firestone and recommends the Destination LEs. Im not trying to buy any Michelins and spend that much. I drive on the highway all the time, just want something quiet and smooth.
    Any advice would help. Thanks guys!

2. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    If it were me in your situation,i would just buy the michelins. I would buy them because my stock Dunlops only lasted like 24k miles. Michelins are gonna last you at least 60k-90k miles. So thats why i would get michelins,just so i wont have to get another set of tires in so short of time. Just try and save up until fall and get something really comfortable that you really want.

3. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Michelins are doubtless good tires, but they damn well better give terrific mileage as costly as they are...

Lots of tires are made with an HT, AT or OR tread on the same carcass, so make sure you get a highway tread tire to get a quieter ride.

4. Aug 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    I bought Michelin to replace my Dunlops at 37k. The Michelins were $740 mounted & balanced. I priced Dunlops & was quoted &660 OTD. I agree the Dunlops were smooth but they were crappy on grooved cement highways. They just followed the grooves & I was constantly having to correct the wheel so I didn't look like a drunk driver. My Michelin Lattitude tires don't do that.

5. Aug 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    DheadTaco

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    Thanks guys! Im going to keep debating on the tires. I truly want Michelins, but, just got married and a house so l might not get that wish. You know how that goes lol Any other good suggestions or links?

6. Aug 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Nothing wrong with the Destinations. I have the A/T's, over 50k on them now but almost ready for new ones. A couple folks I know have the LE's and are happy with them.

7. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    DheadTaco

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Thats what I have heard also. I just want a smooth and quiet.

8. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
  9. Aug 14, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    TJD

TJD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knucklehead
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    Nothing for nothing but Michelin's are the only tire I have ever had give me the mileage they were rated at. Not cheap but a damn good tire

10. Aug 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4

^^^^Very Good advice.^^^^^^^

I had the dest LE and they were done at 50K.

Nothing but Michelin's from now on.

Products Discussed in

To Top