1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock HU with aftermarket amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sgtpepper, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    sgtpepper

sgtpepper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I'm going to get flamed for this .. i know it.

I want to keep the stock head unit,but run an amp and some speakers I have laying around. No budget right now for a new headunit and the stock speakers are just pitiful.

So the plan is to ditch the stock speakers, make some mounting brackets for the 6.5 comps, hide the xovers and run the amp.

The only question is can I run the speaker signal off the stock HU to the amp without blowing the amp?

The amp is a JL 300/4. It has a 'hi/low input' switch, I need to look up how much the 'hi' input will handle. The gains of course can be turned down. Just not sure if this has been done before with any success.

To make this even more ghetto .. I'm not touching the rear speakers for now, those will run stock off the headunit. The amp will only power the front comps in bridged mode (150W x2 channels.) If I get this far, hopefully I can use combination of gains and fader setting to balance out the fronts/rears.

2. Oct 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    There are very very few speakers in production that need enough power to be worth running that amp bridged, you will see far more improvement also running the factory rears from the amp, that way you can use the crossover in the amp and remove most of the bass that they can't handle as well as send a much cleaner signal too them. The best way to run am amp from your factory head unit is to use a product like the audio controll lc6 it will give your factory unit a crystal clear preamp signal as strong and clean as the very best aftermarket head units

Products Discussed in

To Top