1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Running Boards vs Smittybuilt Black Nerf Step Bars

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sfierro, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mar 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM
    sfierro

sfierro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hello all!

Just asking some opinions.
    What step/nerf bar do you recommend? The OEM Running boards from Toyota or the Smittybuilt Black Nerf step bars? Price seems about the same so I am completely stuck here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar 14, 2014 at 2:43 AM
    abfackeln

abfackeln Member

Member:
    Rul Hawl, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I had the stock boards on my '09. Being somewhat short (around 5'5"), they sat high for me, so it wasn't much different than just getting into the cab without them. Bought the Smittybilts like you have pictured, and because of the dropped step, they work perfect. And they look better too.

3. Mar 14, 2014 at 2:44 AM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Number 2

4. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    If I had a choice it would be the nerf bar. However, I like the stock tube steps from Toyota. I had them on my '08 and kept them when I bought my '14. They are nice to get in/out of and easily cleaned. They are also very handy when washing the roof of the cab because I can just move side to side without worrying about stepping off the tube. In that case the boards are better, but I don't like the board look.

5. Mar 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    I sold the ones of my 2011 because I want sliders in the future but in my opinion anything > stock ones.

6. Mar 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    I plan on eventually swapping my current setup for Pelfrey sliders w/ rear kick-out.

7. Mar 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    mcbagpiper

mcbagpiper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    14 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Tonneaupro hard tri-fold 3D Maxpider floor mats 10g steel skid plate N-Fab steps AVS bug guard & window visors 5100's @ 1.75" 1" steel rear blocks 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers Graphite metallic sport rims 20% front tint MBRP dual cat-back exhaust
    I just installed a set of the Smittybilt on my 14 TRD DCLB, they're great! Easy to install on your own, they're light enough to hold in place while inserting the first couple of bolts.

The steps work perfectly for my boys (5yr olds), and they'll need it soon b/c the truck is getting lifted in the next couple of weeks!

[​IMG]

8. Mar 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    sfierro

sfierro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Everyone seems to love the Nerf bars. I think you have made my mind for me. I love how they look on your DCLB /\. I have a dcsb 13 sport.

Thanks!

Would you guys recommend Amazon? With prime they are $329 plus tax and free two day shipping

9. Mar 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Black OEM powdercoated tube steps, best look and quality.... oem running boards are flimsy and look dinky lol, and aftermarket options always rust out and/look tacky unless you go NFAB but they only look good if you have a lift, or remove your musflaps and get bushwacker pocket style fender flares.

10. Mar 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    I have the factory boards on my '11 . I like the look of the nerf bars better though!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  11. Mar 15, 2014 at 3:57 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    x whatever # on the Smittybilts step bars. Just an FYI, N-fabs and Smittybilt are the same manufacturer but it's cheaper to search them under Smittybilt. Bought mine used here a few yrs back off a shortbed to put on my LB.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top