1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Speaker RMS Rating

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dziddy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    dziddy

dziddy [OP] It's My Rap Name. We all Have One.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Base Tacoma 4X4
    Anyone know what the stock speaker RMS rating is? I have a 2011 Tacoma Base Model regular cab. I'm looking to upgrade the weak sound system (stock low end variant) and don't want to blow up the stock speakers.

I know, I know, I should upgrade the speakers also, but I'm not ready to do that yet.

I'm hoping someone pulled their speakers out during an upgrade and can check the RMS rating of the upper and lowers.

Regards,

Tom

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Not even joking, they are like 7 watts. When you pull them out and compare them to what your upgrading them to you will not believe it. Any speaker out there sounds better than stock.

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    I can't say for the base model, but the double cab has 20 Watt woofers and 17 Watt tweeters. Sort of a match for the typical 17-22 Watts per channel found in the typical amplifier of an OEM radio. Would expect reg cab to be the same given the same radio/CD player

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    does it even matter? if theyre rated for 10 watts and you put 20 to them does not mean they'll explode....besides music is dynamic, unless you plan on pumping 25hz sine waves through them your fine

5. Mar 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    moto metal 16x8, 165-70R16 r/t, baja roof basket, customize tops,avic z2 upgraded,all pro rear bumper
    Anybody knows the output impedance of the front speaker for 2011 Double Cab?? I want to upgrade and need to find out the exact ohms..... Thanks....:D

6. Mar 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    shit point shit shit

I have a jvc arsenal head and have the frq/bass maxed out. Theres only a certain level you can crank it to before the sound becomes anoying. My fronts are starting to crack, still getting some dec bass from the rears. Havent blown any yet.

Replacing the fronts with Alpine sps 610c, making the bracket now.

7. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Can't help with the rating, but I installed an aftermarket deck in mine and still have the stock speakers. It sounds A LOT better. More volume, more bass. Still haven't hurt the stock speakers. I think the deck is 18 rms per channel. Do the deck first. If you want more later you can do the speakers and an amp. I haven't got to that yet, sounds pretty good as is.

8. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    moto metal 16x8, 165-70R16 r/t, baja roof basket, customize tops,avic z2 upgraded,all pro rear bumper
    I got it. It's 4 ohms. THanks... I already did change the HU with Caska and I just ordered a PES10C Kicker 10" Powered Sub Enclosure . I'll be using Boston Acoustics Sc Series Sc95 6x9" 2 Way Coaxial Full Range Car Audio Speaker System for my front speakers then will just leave the rear OEM till I have some spare money again. I'm pretty familiar with big PA system set up being my side job but never I installed a car stereo system before. It should be fun..... Thanks again gents....
    :D:D

9. Mar 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Tom, flat out, the speakers have to be upgraded first. It'll take you like 5 minutes to pop off a door panel and pull one out. You let me know if you've seen a cheaper quality speaker in your life. See if you can get a paper clip to stick to the magnet. Unless Toyota has seriously upgraded their stock equipment, they are the worst junk ever. A new HU would be a waste, IMO. You won't get the benefit of the upgrade. I was looking at a new HU as well, and decided to change out the speakers first. I spent $100 for 4 and it was a world of difference w/the stock HU. To the point that it was good enough for me and I skipped on a HU upgrade, just plugged into my aux port and it all sounds great to me. Audiophiles may take offense but it doesn't take much to improve the stock sound in a big way.

10. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

For anyone who doubts this, here's the stockers from my '08 RC Base...

The magnets are not strong enough to either repel or attract the other speaker.
    I can stick the tweeter to it and lift it by the tweeter.
    Lifting the main speaker barely lifts the tweeter.

stockrc.jpg

11. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    Yyyyyaaaaiiii!
    Looks like Japs kindergarten students school project....

For anyone who doubts this, here's the stockers from my '08 RC Base...

The magnets are not strong enough to either repel or attract the other speaker.
    I can stick the tweeter to it and lift it by the tweeter.
    Lifting the main speaker barely lifts the tweeter.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

12. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I never bothered to pull the tweeters as I wasn't gonna pay to replace em, but damn if the tweeter doesn't look more substantial compared to the woofer! Mine were the oval woofers, 6x9 I think, but just as shitty as that 6.

13. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    My thought as well... but I went with the Polk DB6501 component system because even with the fairly substantial tweeters (and 17w being enough to handle the HF through a crossover from a decent HU), the system was completely lacking in HF.

News radio on AM sounded good, FM voice fairly good.
    Music? I have my treble at +5 and I had bass at -5 to get tolerable EQ... and it was STILL too bassy and muddy.
    Now with the Polks I've got the bass moved up to -3 and actually enjoyed listening to KLOS and KROQ on the way home today.

Looking forward to the HU upgrade.

14. Jun 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    Moremgd32

Moremgd32 Outdoor Extremist

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    LED Bulbs (Front, rear, cab) Bug Shield & Window Rain Guards Avid Offroad Light Bar & Sliders Hella Black Magic 1000(x3) Blacked out headlights Blacked out Badging Blacked out wheels Toytec 3" Lift (coming soon)
    does anyone know the frequency response for the stock speakers? trying to compare my aftermarket speakers to see if its even worth putting them in w/o an amp. They are all loudspeakers so i might need to find some speakers with a wider spectrum of sound.

15. Jun 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    FL TRD

FL TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    I have my stock speakers amp'ed with a JL 300/4 i did it because i had my tv and sub wanting to be installed but didnt have the speakers or adaptors yet so i had everything installed and will upgrade the speakers later. But so far they have held up dont know how long they will last but its been about 3 weeks so far but they definitly sound alot clearer.

Products Discussed in

To Top