1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Upper Control Arm stiff?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tylerm5000, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    I have a 4x4 Tacoma 2.7l. I was changing my upper ball joints yesterday when I noticed that the upper control arm is extremely stiff. I had to use my hammer to make it move off of the ball joint stud. I recently swapped the bushings for polyurethane and used grease. I torques them the proper 87 ft. lbs when I did it. Is it supposed to be really stiff? I noticed on both the upper and lower control arms, there is a small cut out that reveals the inner sleeve. That seems like it would be a great place to add a grease zerk. I am tempted. I am very happy with the bushings. They don't squeak at all.

After changing my upper ball joint i STILL have yet to diagnose the horrid clunky sound in the front when I steer or drive over a hump.

2. May 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    Hollywood0027

Hollywood0027 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '95.5 3RZ
    9/2/14 Edit: 4.3 Vortec installed, NP3500, custom NP233 transfer case, high pinion dana 44 SAS with ARB, 4.88 gears, bobbing the bed, 5" lift, boxed rear frame, custom s10 fuel tank mount, etc. 12/16/13 Edit: Currently tearing down a 2000 Blazer to transplant the 4.3 Vortec and 5spd manual transmission (NV3500 I believe) into the Taco. It'll pass CO emissions when done. Planning to post a thread once complete. E-Locker, budget CAI and exhaust, Warn Powerstation, Addicted Off Road bumper, ToyTec OME w/AAL lift, aftermarket stereo w/10 inch subwoofer (only cool when you realize how I fit it in a reg cab truck), dual lexus horns, roll bar, off road lights, CB radio, Powertrax Lock Right locker (front diff), ejecto seat, laser/phaser/ion ray gun, oil slick, heat seaking missles...
    Did you ever install zerk fittings in your A arms? I'm getting ready to replace my bushings this weekend with Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings and was thinking of doing this to keep them lubed.

3. May 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    its just fine that way

4. May 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    Hollywood0027

Hollywood0027 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '95.5 3RZ
    9/2/14 Edit: 4.3 Vortec installed, NP3500, custom NP233 transfer case, high pinion dana 44 SAS with ARB, 4.88 gears, bobbing the bed, 5" lift, boxed rear frame, custom s10 fuel tank mount, etc. 12/16/13 Edit: Currently tearing down a 2000 Blazer to transplant the 4.3 Vortec and 5spd manual transmission (NV3500 I believe) into the Taco. It'll pass CO emissions when done. Planning to post a thread once complete. E-Locker, budget CAI and exhaust, Warn Powerstation, Addicted Off Road bumper, ToyTec OME w/AAL lift, aftermarket stereo w/10 inch subwoofer (only cool when you realize how I fit it in a reg cab truck), dual lexus horns, roll bar, off road lights, CB radio, Powertrax Lock Right locker (front diff), ejecto seat, laser/phaser/ion ray gun, oil slick, heat seaking missles...
    Doubt it. Mine move with only hand pressure.

Products Discussed in

To Top