1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Wheels with 285's on 2003 TRD Double Cab

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dibbs, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Oct 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    dibbs

dibbs [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double-Cab TRD 4x4
    My apologies...I'm sure this question has been asked and answered numerous times. I've tried to search...but am not finding the info I'm looking for. Anyway....

I have a 2003 Tacoma DC w/ 3" Toytech lift. Will my stock wheels have the proper clearance/backspacing/fit to go to 285/75/16's with a MT type agressive/semi agressive tread. I do a fair amount of driving in the winter in deep snow, and have to put chains on occasionally also if this helps with your answers.

THANKS for your assistance!!!

2. Oct 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    bivey

bivey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.

3. Oct 10, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    285's are going to be tight on a first gen.

Best I can tell you about are my Duratrack 265/75/16, which is about an inch shorter and 3/4" more narrow.

They rub the frame at full lock. If you have the front mud flaps on, they will probably have to go as well. I haven't had any issues with rubbing on the fenders.

I've been thinking about trying 285's, but I've been trying to find a used set/spare to do some test fitting on, but haven't been very lucky with it so far. I'm expecting a good amount of rubbing and plan to beat down the pinch weld, some trimming in the wheel well, and maybe even adding spacers. I've even been thinking I'd try some 33x12.5 (315/70R16) or something close just to see what happens since they seem to be a lot more common. The stock gears (4.10 for me), really isn't going to cut it for that size of tire though.

Also, just so you're aware, most 285 width tires are not meant to fit on a 7" wide wheel. I know Discount tire (I'm sure many others as well) will refuse to mount 285/75/16 on a 16x7 wheel.

For the least amount of work and rubbing, stick with 265/75R16 for 1st gens. As I mentioned earlier, its a bit over 1" difference in overall height (raises truck 1/2" higher), and is 3/4" thinner.

4. Sep 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    No, you will need spacers

5. Sep 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    k2rider

k2rider Member

Member:
    North County SD
    jTilt...I've had trucks for 25+ years but have never actually 'lifted' one so I'd say I'm new too. I just bought a 2011 CCLB TRD version last week and they already had it set up with a 3" 'Ready Lift' spacer lift, 17x9 Pro Comp wheels and 285/70R17 Pro Comp Extreme M/T tires. Pro Comp claims taht those tires are 33" high.

I'm not going to imply that they were meant to be driven on the street full time but those tires rode rougher than any tire I've ever owned and were noisy as well. Even with the lift, they rubbed on the inside of the fenders up front. Since the dealer picked the combo and I wasn't happy with the rubbing, they agreed to swap out the tires. I had them put on the same size Toyo Open Country AT (Toyo lists them at 32.6"on their spec sheet)this morning. They are WORLDS better...smoother, quiet and no rubbing.

I guess my point is...it depends on what tires you pick as all manufacturers are not the same when it comes to sizing.

Products Discussed in

To Top