1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[storage box] Contico Xtreme Pro TuffBin

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by deckeda, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Aug 29, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    deckeda

deckeda [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    "spoilers" >>

* THIS PRODUCT WON'T HELP YOU IF YOU HAVE A TONNEAU COVER. And/or there could be an additional deal-breaker for you if you must see your tailgate edge when backing up.) *

The Rubbermaid ActionPacker series mentioned on this site caught my eye.

But the 48-gal bin mentioned in another thread here is too wide for the 1st Gen Tacoma, at nearly 44" wide. I measured about 40" or 41" wide between my wheel wells before the "curve" of the wheel well began to ramp up. (The 35-gal bin is only about 35" wide however.)

No matter, I really had an interest in the Contico instead. From working with them I knew they were indeed "tuffer" and so that's what I bought. http://www.contico.com/#!xtreme-tuffbin/c15ep As a bonus it's U.S.A. - made in my hometown of St. Louis (Bridgeton).

"Model 3725 (built-in lock) or 3725NL (lockable hasps only)"

There's about $5 difference in price between them. Get the one without the lock if you want one that can be opened with one hand. The one with the lock has a spring-loaded catch lever and comes with two keys for the lock. Both have lockable hasps. Hasp --- your new word for the day.

Lowe's lists it for about the same or a little less than Amazon, even if you have Amazon Prime's free shipping. Trouble is, Lowe's store inventory can be OFF, as mine was today. Lowe's "should" have both styles but you'd be VERY smart to call and have them put eyes on the one you want, with or without the lock.

So while making a run to Tractor Supply for some horse stall mat, er I mean mean bed mat, I found it there for the same $65 price. DONE.

Next up, the pictures.

2. Aug 29, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    deckeda

deckeda [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    Yep, goes right up to the window, LIKE A BOSS. (You can bungee it right under that top edge, see? And unless lesser bins, won't deform when you do so.)

OMG it's gonna swallow neighborhood animals.

With the box placed equidistant from each side and spaced back from the rear edge enough to permit the lid opening fully, here's what it looks like. There are about 3"-4" on either side and about the same behind it (near the bottom) TO HIDE YOUR STASH (or whatever) FROM THE MAN .

There's approx. 38.5" of space remaining backwards to the closed-tailgate. (Again, this is with the Double Cab's 5ft bed ...)

This might make you nervous. The box blocks the view of the tailgate if you use that as a reference for backing up. (Do your side mirrors work?)

bmidd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top