1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange bump feeling on starts and stops

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Aryota, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    madtacoma

madtacoma Member

Member:
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd sport
    Its your slip joint in your drive shaft. There is no grease fitting there, so it tends to stick. You can spray or add some lube but will eventually do it again.

Skipdog44 likes this.
  2. Apr 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    GreatBasinTaco

GreatBasinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC
    Lots of stuff
    possible loose u bolts? The sevice manual had these under torqued for a period of time.

3. Apr 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  4. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Axle wrap

5. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    Hmm mines not axle wrap or loose u bolts. Will continue to investigate

6. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    It can be many things, but like usual this forum has crystal balls so everyone clanks when they walk.

You need to go through a diagnostic process. Lashing out blindly at ten possibilities is going to be slow, messy, questionably accurate, and will cost more than it has to.

7. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    Ya know, I have this exact feeling. I just assumed it was the gas in the gas tank slapping around since it seemed to be more noticeable when the fuel gage is around half full to 3/4 full. Didn't really think much of it. This axle wrap thing is new to me. Learn something new everyday.

8. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    Axle wrap.... If your lifted your drive shaft is probably out of alignment causing your pinion angle to be off. When you come to a stop your rear axle points down causing the drive shaft to come out of the yoke and when you come to a complete stop the clunk you feel is it going back in. vise versa for accelerating also. I had the same issue and i partially solved it by realigning my drive with axle shims and carrier bracket drop. I have a traction bar also from bud built, but i'm going to give the alignment another try before putting on the traction bar and eliminating the problem all together.

I have seen someone also put a spacer they sell between the rear pinion and and drive shaft that initially doesn't lets the drive shaft come out of the yoke. There is very good thread of this forum about drive shaft alignment that has a lot of resourceful info.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
  10. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Subscribe. Mine does the same as OP describe.

11. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    HAHAHAHAHA

12. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Aryota

Aryota [OP] Rabbit n Pancakes vs. Chicken n Waffles

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 Access V6 4x4 TRD-OR SR5
    WOW!

Been away for a few days and log in to find several helpful replies to the dilemma. Had no idea that the stock leaf springs are so flimsy! It's actually a relief to learn that several of you have experienced this with your Tacos. I was thinking that something was messed up since I bought it used.

I will be trying the add-a-leaf remedy. Until I have time to do it - I'm assuming it's just an annoyance and not a harmful problem? Yes or no?

Thanks very much to fletch aka for that EXTREMELY detailed how-to !

And thanks very much to the rest of you guys for your valuable input.

And now to post another thread regarding strange brake noise.

13. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    Aryota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Just had an afterthought.

It does it worse when the weather is warm to hot. It was barely noticeable to non-existent during during cold weather.

Would this be because the leaf springs are more flexible in warmer weather?

Or is this just a dumb-ass theory?

14. Apr 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    RKTaco

RKTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    07' Dlcb 4x4 Sport Silverstreak
    Weathertechs
    Mine started to do the same thing. 52k on it, the springs are flat. After reading numerous threads I knew the likely cause was axle warp but since I have an extended warranty I took it to the dealer. They said the u-joints were a little loose and ordered me a new drive shaft and carrier bearing last week $1150 worth of work for free. The new driveshaft took away most of the takeoff shutter but I still feel something at low speed especially on turns in parking lots and moderate braking. The 3 Leaf AAL will be next but need to decide between wheelers and icon.

15. Apr 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    "Money doesn't buy happiness." Uh, do you live in America? 'Cause it buys a Tacoma. Have you ever seen a sad person in a Tacoma?"

It may not buy happiness, but I'd rather be crying in my Tacoma than a Ranger :(

16. Apr 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    tacosunday

tacosunday GoldMember

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 OR DCSB
    Lol

17. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    So I helped my sister haul her new dining set which weighed about 350 to 400 pounds. Its was about a 30 to 35 mile trip. Oddly enough I dont have that problem that Op has described anymore. I hope I didn't just jinks myself. But anyhow my truck is back to the way it used to be. Just a side note I never really use my truck as a truck. I just drive it.

18. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    So got a 3/4" drop bracket for my carrier bearing. Took 5min to put in. Drove it down the freeway and the vibes are gone and no more clunk and stop and go. Glad to have found this thread

19. Apr 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    Drinknmolson

Drinknmolson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB sport
    I had the same problem, prior to lift it ended up being axle wrap the u bolts were so loose when I took apart the rear to do the aal, I torwued em down to 73# and I have not noticed it since.

took it to the dealer, they said that's normal. I am actually afraid to go to the yota dealerships anymore they give the "normal" BS to often.

good luck figuring it out if not, just wanted to chime in since i had the same thud but went away with a simple tightening.

20. Apr 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    Aryota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the suggestion to re-torque u-bolts. Crawled under last night and torqued them to 75#. They DID turn a good ways until clicking at 75. Noticed the "bump" on starts and stops is reduced a bit, but still there.

And I completely agree with you regarding the Toyota service depts. They seem to not take the issue seriously by saying it's "normal" or "no problem found". It's annoying since Toyotas are not cheap vehicles !! :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top